KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the short notice, but there are a few invitations available for a two-day track day at Cadwell, Thursday and Friday, next week.

If you haven't done a track day before then this is perhaps the nicest, most friendly one there is - it's a private event, so everyone knows everyone else (or is a known guest of someone - IYSWIM) and bad behaviour is frowned upon. A lot.

The track at Cadwell Park (Lincolnshire) is superb, and it's the full mountain circuit that's in use. Being a private event the cost is a very reasonable £180 for about as much track time as you could want - did I mention the Thursday track evening too?

Scorps are fine for this (it's what I'll be using) and as long as you've got either one-piece leathers or full-zip two-piece leathers, proper bike boots and gloves you'll be fine too.

More information is here or send me a PM. It'd be great to see another 990 (or even 950 :p) out on the track.

If you're off to the Welsh Weekend, why not start it on the track? :D

PS: Riding on the green bit instead of the black bit is frowned upon, no matter how tempting it might be :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
As a guy who used to regularly run in the fast/advanced group at track days, I think you are pretty brave doing them on the adv.

I KNOW 100% that I would loose the front end of the ADV braking and flicking into any fast corner before the end of the first session. (Even did it on the road within a couple of months of getting it, and yes it hurt).

Scorps are pretty good all round tyres, and I use the same, but shit I'm going grey and shaking at the thought of doing a track day on them.

Great as the big Katoom is, it ain't no track bike ( yeah I've seen the guy at Laguna Seca on you tube, but he's not going that quick), as soon as you try to load the front in a corner (essential for track riding IMO) it goes walkies, and there ain't nooo getting it back. Having said that they do crash really well.

Have a really good day Gordo, stay safe, but don't get sucked into racing them fast boys, it'll end in tears.

Thinking about getting a track only gixer 750 or similiar (won't use one on the road anymore) in addition to the Adv, as that itch just won't go away, so maybe join you on one in the future.

Good luck matey.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
As a guy who used to regularly run in the fast/advanced group at track days, I think you are pretty brave doing them on the adv.

I KNOW 100% that I would loose the front end of the ADV braking and flicking into any fast corner before the end of the first session. (Even did it on the road within a couple of months of getting it, and yes it hurt).

Scorps are pretty good all round tyres, and I use the same, but shit I'm going grey and shaking at the thought of doing a track day on them.

Great as the big Katoom is, it ain't no track bike ( yeah I've seen the guy at Laguna Seca on you tube, but he's not going that quick), as soon as you try to load the front in a corner (essential for track riding IMO) it goes walkies, and there ain't nooo getting it back. Having said that they do crash really well.

Have a really good day Gordo, stay safe, but don't get sucked into racing them fast boys, it'll end in tears.

Thinking about getting a track only gixer 750 or similiar (won't use one on the road anymore) in addition to the Adv, as that itch just won't go away, so maybe join you on one in the future.

Good luck matey.
Man you need to the Surms in action!!:smokin:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would like to do a track day, but cant do this one unfortunately. Just 1 question you mentioned leathers, are these mandatory or can you wear a full textile suit?
It has to be leathers I'm afraid - track owner's rules.

Don't worry about what Frog said either. I've done three track days without any problems at all. Remember the bike you're on, and that the throttle works both ways :)

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

Don't worry about what Frog said either. I've done three track days without any problems at all. Remember the bike you're on, and that the throttle works both ways :)
Also if you run wide and off the track with the Adventure onto wet grass it's FUN - on a GSX-R with slicks it's terrifying !

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

I would have loved to come on this one with you, but unfortunately it coincides with the cornwall do, please keep me informed if you decide to do another one there, as I have fond memories of that circuit on the Adv.
As frog has said, it is not a track bike and dont try to hang with the fast boys as it will end in tears, that said however, it is fun to ride that particular track as you can really stretch the bikes legs, and learn a lot about what the bike can do.
JH4Q0476.jpg JH4Q1221.jpg JH4Q1256-1.jpg

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
i'm off to wales next weekend- but I do have a very scuffed set of XL one peice SM leathers inc body armour if rqrd; that i could post FOC to anyone interested in doing this - theyre proper race leathers the thickest money can buy....well over a grand new............. but worth fook all now.... and slid down most of the tracks in this fine country - but don't let that put you off! i used to do a lot of racing and so did the guy i bought them off who raced faster bikes than i'd trust myself on - oh theyve only got a small tear near the arse so you'll b fine!

all i ask is you send us a report of your weekends fun.......and post back the leathers...even more used and abused......

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is perverted.

Riding an Adventure on smooth tarmac with bald tyres ................ sick ;)
I know. I had to change my tyres specially, and I'm in Yorkshire getting some practice on the strange hard black stuff. It's just wrong...! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agreed; I did the 'Ring on a 1100GS (long ago, wasn't enlightened at the time...) so it really doesn't matter what the fast people want to do, they have to overtake YOU, so it's THEIR problem and not yours...

Chris M

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'll be there. I didn't know what bike i would have ready for this year as i sold the YZF840SP, I was hoping i would have a ZX863RR ready but i don't. So 625 SMC it is, Eyores on day one. Piglets day two

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wet N Windy

Turns out that on day 2, Friday it rained all morning, plus it was very windy.
Most folk sat it out in the Cafe in the morning, watching the two 9x0 Adventures plus a very few other other bikes circulating in the wet. Some folk had other things to deal with like the new sport of Marquee wrangling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
now that is near horizontal rain.
by friday i had already left having found the problem with the engine. ie a cracked head

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Friday's weather was truly foul, and even when it stopped raining in the afternoon the wind was still pretty strong - enough to make some parts of the track... interesting... (especially at Park Corner, where you had to turn across the wind - once or twice I think I was in danger of gybing! :eek:)

Thursday was good though, with only two crashes on the track - one fast, one slow - and no injuries.

As always it was a friendly affair, so if you couldn't make it this year there's always next year... Hopefully back to its usual summer dates, with better weather :)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot to add that (official) photos of the two days are here.

...just mind the contrast on some of the Friday morning photos! :scooter:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts