KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm a very keen trf member and go out quite a bit, I'm looking into getting into the rallymoto type stuff and doing some road tours uk first then Europe at a later date. Bike wise I've been researching everything. I'd like to be able to go moderate offroad with it and be comfortable on long road tours.
I have a 300 2t for trf and enduro stuff and a vfr800 for road, but going to sell the vfr.
Looking to spend under £6000. Is the 2009+ 990 adventure r a good bike for my needs. And whats are they like on and off road. At a later date I will be adding a 350/450/500 4t to the garage for lightweight tet kind of stuff and double up as a spare bike.
Cheers and thanks in advance

·
Registered
948 Posts
OK I'm a very keen trf member and go out quite a bit, I'm looking into getting into the rallymoto type stuff and doing some road tours uk first then Europe at a later date. Bike wise I've been researching everything. I'd like to be able to go moderate offroad with it and be comfortable on long road tours.
I have a 300 2t for trf and enduro stuff and a vfr800 for road, but going to sell the vfr.
Looking to spend under £6000. Is the 2009+ 990 adventure r a good bike for my needs. And whats are they like on and off road. At a later date I will be adding a 350/450/500 4t to the garage for lightweight tet kind of stuff and double up as a spare bike.
Cheers and thanks in advance
990R is brill imo - will do everything you want it to.

·
Registered
491 Posts
any of the R models are good, anything without the abs, I really dont like the 990 abs never gave me much confidence mine is a 07 so easy to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you have abs on the 990 you just press a button to turn it off, if you are going hard off road the R would be a better choice as I have bottomed out a few times on my 990, both will feel more dirt bike then rest of the big Adventure bikes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm definitely going to be trying my luck at more than moderate offroad once used to it, got a 36" inside leg so floor to seat hight isn't a issue, it's the peg to seat hight I struggle with due to long legs on longer distances . And I'm used to standing up, it's not great trying that on the vfr on the motorway 🤣.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don’t rule out any of the 950/990 models though - they are all much-of-a-muchness and can be brought up to the same spec as an R/S pretty easily. Buy on condition would be my advice. The main difference between the models/years is suspension height. Engine power/abs is easily brought up to R Spec/deleted if required. Buy something cheap and tidy and chuck money at getting it to the height you want might be an idea?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers, its going to get used for what it's meant for, hence not wanting to spend liads on a new bike, I'm not keen on carbs hence staying away from the 950. I feel I need the longer suspension and extra ground clearance of the s or the r for my needs, . Abs I've never had so don't know,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cheers, its going to get used for what it's meant for, hence not wanting to spend liads on a new bike, I'm not keen on carbs hence staying away from the 950. I feel I need the longer suspension and extra ground clearance of the s or the r for my needs, . Abs I've never had so don't know,
the version on the 990 is not a very intelligent abs, it works sort off, but I reckon you better off without, and you dont need the weight of the pump etc etc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Went around Morocco on my 990 Adv, trail riding never even thought about the abs, but it was dry! I took off on a steep hill with a Honda transalp with the abs on, so it can be very dangerous!! like to put my bike on a diet some time so my lose the abs and get a two into one exhaust.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Carbs are smooth as butter on the 950. Given the choice a low mileage S 950.....like rocking horse poo though and they keep their price for a reason.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great thread, i had a ride on a 990 a few months ago in the lanes. I couldn’t believe how light it felt! Rode better than my 650! I thought the 990 ad’ R, maybe getting a bit dated by now so it put me off. But a lot of my questions have been answered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Have you considered a 500 Enduro?

The 'Mericans love them for "Dual Sport", and some bloke in Adventure Bike Rider last month has been overlanding through Mongolia on one, as they start about 70-100kg lighter than most big Adventure bikes and a good 30KG lighter than things like the DRZ400 and Honda CRF250L.

That is where I would look, should be able to get a good condition fairly recent low use one for fair money, much cheaper than a 690R / 790R and less to go wrong / break when you fall off when compared to larger Adv bikes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I will be getting a 350/450/500 at some point in the future for light weight travels,bikes below are what I'm going to end up with, I have everything covered then, from light and extreme enduro to riding round Europe and beyond.
300 2t
350/540/500 4t
990r

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Took my 990 down some grass rutted lanes a few days back and you now then that you are on a front end heavy bike, I was soon at the end of the little talent I have, mate was on a 1190R with more off road tyres on but his tyres soon fill with mud, we can all get the ass end out and ride hard pack lanes but trying to cross mud ruts on a Adventure bike is no fun, plus two days cleaning, love my 990 but if I was going on a wild goose chase I would sooner be on a smaller bike.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Took my 990 down some grass rutted lanes a few days back and you now then that you are on a front end heavy bike, I was soon at the end of the little talent I have, mate was on a 1190R with more off road tyres on but his tyres soon fill with mud, we can all get the ass end out and ride hard pack lanes but trying to cross mud ruts on a Adventure bike is no fun, plus two days cleaning, love my 990 but if I was going on a wild goose chase I would sooner be on a smaller bike.
And that’s the problem that is twating my head, which way to go 690-990,!
Any sort of distance on motorways and the 650-690ish is mind numbing! But when you hit an unexpected hard bit of Lane you want the lighter bike! It’s a killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I am no expert but ride my 950 Adv in quite a few uk rallys and a few enduros (and 1 last year on africa twin) My advice would be if you jump on a 950 and ride it on proper off road terrain especially on tkc etc tyres after riding an enduro bike it will feel horrible, you need to take it steady and build confidence with it, do not try to wrestle it in to a bend allow it to lean in and use the rut or berm.
Try to fight with the bike and there will only be one winner and that is not the rider!
If a big ditch suddenly appears in front of you on an enduro bike you can quickly pick the front end up to get over it, on a 950 picking the front end up takes a bit more planning and you do not want to drop the front wheel in to the ditch go over the bars and 200 kg of old iron jump on you:eek:

After an hour or 2 you should feel more at home with it and even from time (split seconds) feels better than an enduro bike.

I would (and have) also fit narrow rally width rims to take proper off road tyres (Metzeler 6 days front and maxxis IT rear I use) which helps loads especially in the wet.

One thing to think about is when you get in to deep rutted terrain your feet are lower down and wider apart than on an enduro bike and it can be easy to catch your foot on a rut or on the bank side and twist your foot around and take it from me with a heavy bike it hurts a lot. I always make sure my feet are tight in to the frame/engine cases to be sure and I use standard foot pegs not longer ones so I am not tempted to allow my foot to stick out.

This is just what I have found out for myself as I said no expert, don't blame me if you get hurt!.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts