KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any distance on the slab, the V twin shines, did a longish trip on a 690 and couldn't wait to get off it.
See now I would have agreed with that, but my new to me 640, has a good carb, and exhaust, I have fitted a seat concepts seat and its comfy for a tankfull of fuel, by which time I want a fag anyway so unless it balls out ragging it across Europe etc then the smaller stuff can be as comfortable
and it sits at 70-90 mph for hour on end on the motorway if needed

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Like Lee said you can do wonders with the big bikes, going over logs, up and down tricky climbs and having all that power is a hoot, rode down Spain with a mate on a 690 and went around Morocco and I on my 990 with no problems, highway and off road, yes he did have a flatter more comfy seat on, we did not go in the dunes but blasting down river beds and up steps in the villages and going any where we just pointed our bikes but a lot of that you could do on a bmw gs!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Like Lee said you can do wonders with the big bikes
Wrong, some people can ;-)

A good rider can do way more on a 1290R than I can do on my FE-350.

I found my DR400S was pretty easy going on tracks and trails, but having switched to the FE 350 I find it a lot easier to manage, I feel more confident on it and have way less near misses / drops on it. It is also much easier to ride in really boggy / sludgy mud where it finds traction and forward momentum I could only dream off whilst paddling the DRZ400S along.

I would hope most people have a rough idea of their own abilities before buying a GSA and heading off on a solo trip through challenging terrain.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's why Im going for 3 bike's, 3002t for fun and technical, 350/450/5004t for longer distances and light weight tet, 990 for road touring and big bike offroad friendly and rallys .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts