KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider to be good or essential modifications for your Adventure bikes?

Below is a list of mods carried out on my recently acquired KTM 1090 (street version), just wondering if there's anything else that might be beneficial to fit? : -
1) KTM heated grips - (already on bike at purchase).
2) Tank pad and knee protection - (already on bike at purchase).
3) Pair of fog/driving lights - (already on bike at purchase).
4) Self cancelling indicator software upgrade - (already on bike at purchase).
5) Main stand
6) KTM engine protection bars.
7) Radiator guard.
8) Fender extender.
9) Side stand foot plate.
10) Scottoiler.
11) Givi top box adaptor plate and Monokey fixing plate - to utilise my existing top box when required.
12) Cannister removal to enable toolkit to fit under rear of seat.

I was considering a comfort seat that would raise seat by 20mm but so far I haven't found the standard seat to be that uncomfortable, (unlike the standard seat that was on my 990 Adventure). I was also looking into fitting a small to medium, (5 ltrs ~ 15 ltrs) tank bag and fixing ring but would like to see a few fitted to see what fits best on the KTM tank shape. Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
1290 Adventure S
228 Posts
That's a pretty good start.

I went for the comfort seats on my 1190 but I guess there's no need if you are not unhappy with the standard seat.
Cyclops LED headlights were another good upgrade for me, but I do quite a few night rides so you may not feel the need.

My bike came with a strap-on KTM tankbag which is ok but a faff at refuel time, if I was buying now I'd certainly look at one of the tankring options. I think KTM do one but it's probably a re-badged item made by someone else that I expect you could buy cheaper directly.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Exhaust upgrade, they sound like a broken ditch pump as standard

Reactions: Vulcan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty good start.

I went for the comfort seats on my 1190 but I guess there's no need if you are not unhappy with the standard seat.
Cyclops LED headlights were another good upgrade for me, but I do quite a few night rides so you may not feel the need.

My bike came with a strap-on KTM tankbag which is ok but a faff at refuel time, if I was buying now I'd certainly look at one of the tankring options. I think KTM do one but it's probably a re-badged item made by someone else that I expect you could buy cheaper directly.
Thanks again for you input Ledwardio, yes, in the past I have had strap on tank bags that were a bit of a pain. The KTM tank bag which seems a decent size 13ltr ~ 16ltrs, although I don't like the thought of having to drill the bag to fit the mounting plate to its base: - https://www.tripledmotosport.co.uk/product/tank-bag3

I'll continue to monitor the comfort of my stock seat and look out for a comfort seat if I feel the need to change it. I would appreciate an extra 20mm or so increase between seat and foot pegs.

Some of those Cyclops LED light kits seems expensive!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with all on list, add the Ergo seats if you plan to ride for more than 3-4 minutes between 1 hour arse recovery sessions.
😂 I was expecting the standard 1090 seat to be bad but so far, with only trips in the region of 50 ~ 100 miles, it has been fine. Must be due to me being used to the 990 seat which was painful even with a gel seat pad in use! I will keep a look out to see if a reasonable priced one comes up for sale on eBay or similar 😬 The Ergo seats seem to be available in a 1 or 2 piece options.

·
Registered
1290 Adventure S
228 Posts
Thanks again for you input Ledwardio, yes, in the past I have had strap on tank bags that were a bit of a pain. The KTM tank bag which seems a decent size 13ltr ~ 16ltrs, although I don't like the thought of having to drill the bag to fit the mounting plate to its base: - https://www.tripledmotosport.co.uk/product/tank-bag3

I'll continue to monitor the comfort of my stock seat and look out for a comfort seat if I feel the need to change it. I would appreciate an extra 20mm or so increase between seat and foot pegs.

Some of those Cyclops LED light kits seems expensive!
Yeah it does seem surprisingly clumsy to have to drill holes in the bag for the mount.

The coolcovers seat cover offers quite a bit of comfort an a bit of extra height, I use one and the ergo powerparts seat.

It's funny you should say that about the cyclops bulbs... mine are for sale 😂

A silencer does add a bit of a fruity sound improvement, but at least the standard can isn't whisper quiet. I have had a GPR and Scorpion on my 1190, both sound good but the finish disintegrated and flaked on the GPR which would put me off getting another

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
i have the ktm clip on tank bag, no big deal with drilling takes 10mins looks fine..its massive though , as in tall i am 5.7 and oviosley different shape as im a lady creature so i find in my way a bit, its now BF who will use it , i have a much smaller one that i have had for 10 years perfect for cakes money and small bits

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have the ktm clip on tank bag, no big deal with drilling takes 10mins looks fine..its massive though , as in tall i am 5.7 and oviosley different shape as im a lady creature so i find in my way a bit, its now BF who will use it , i have a much smaller one that i have had for 10 years perfect for cakes money and small bits
Hi TQKTM, thanks for your thoughts and findings of using clip on tank bags. I realise that drilling the tank bag to attach it to the mount isn't too big a job, it just seems strange that you have to do this to a new purchase to enable it to be fitted. A bit like buying a new wheel for your car and then having to drill 4 or 5 holes in it to fit it on the wheel hub studs before you can use them lol. I think that I would like to actually see how the different tank bag options fit on the KTM 1090 tank before I take the plunge especially as the tank profile falls away quite rapidly after the filler cap towards the seat. I don't like the idea of the back of the bag floating in the air. Probably a smaller capacity bag would be the best option :) If you have a pic or two of the tank bag you use fitted to your tank I would be interested to take a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hello, i will put pics up later im at work now, i reckon the people who make these tank bags have different attachments ...evo, ion , styles maybe thats why you drill it in case you want different attachment? i have used this style of tank bag for many years as i said easy to clip on and off, and i haven't lost one yet :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some pictures now!
Big ktm bag and my old favorite so you can see
Hi TQKTM,
Thank you for taking the time to take some pics and post them, it's very much appreciated!
Both of the bags do not look out of place on your KTM and I can see the point of having both so that you can pick which one is most suitable for whatever trip you have in mind.
I can see that the smaller bag would be the one used for 90% of the time for general use and think that I will look along those lines myself.
Thanks once again and safe biking (y)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Rox Risers - just can be tailored to your liking.
Metal sump guard - skimpy bit of plastic is just not good enough
TomTom Rider sat nav
Auxillary spots
Arrow can - just sounds and looks better
Ergo seat (heated) proper comfy
Side stand relocation
proper metal panniers - OEM ones are horrid

Reactions: Vulcan

·
Registered
2014 1190R
42 Posts
On my 2013 1190r.

Uni filter system.
SM Pro platinum wheels
Headlight guard
Puig windshield
Factory' heated grips and bash plate.
MSC flashed to ECU as the 2013 models never had it.🙄
2018 PDS rear shock of a 1090, sprung and valved to my massive weight.
ktech springs in forks
Powerparts heated seats
Powerpart tank bag
SM13 starter motor upgrade
Delkevic pipe
Hill Top remap 134 bhp of back wheel
Pivot pegs
Frame guards
Things left.... upgrade horn and lights.

Motoz Tractionators Enduro tyres on the sm pro.
Trail attacks on the road wheels.

Looking at powercell or rottweiler air intake systems, and Oberon clutch slave.

Also recently purchased some 3d printed spacer's that fit into throttle housing that take the slack up.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
What is your opinion on the Hilltop remap Large?

·
Registered
2014 1190R
42 Posts
Can't really comment, it was already done before buying it. I have print outs if you're interested in reading graphs.

·
Registered
2014 1190R
42 Posts
So these cyclopes bulbs that fit straight into the headlight, any good. Need more lumens but loathed to add spots and look like a GS bender.
Can't really comment, it was already done before buying it. I have print outs if you're interested in reading graphs.
Very happy with performance and in no hurry to find that extra pony.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts