KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY ALL !

The front of my 990 adventure is in need of some beefing up !
Does anyone know where i can get some stronger fork springs from ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can use KTM SE fork springs but you need some spacers.

I think Mooky has done it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob !?

OK, THANKS !
sounds silly but how do i find 950 se rob !? or adventures rob !?

also, i would be happy to fit 950 se springs as the weight is about right,
0.60 kg/mm but what size spacers should i use !?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I'm just about to do this to mine, I've got the springs just need the time to do it. I was told you just shim them so they fit exactly with no gap or squash if you see what I mean, I'm going to fit one and measure the gap then either use some spare spacers from my exc forks or make some up from plastic plumbing tube.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey newsh !

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT !

But a silly question, you say you are about to upgrade your springs !?

But what springs are you using to upgrade with !?

thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
dibdob is after softening his SE front end up you may be able to swap with him, he's off on hols this week but pm him he should pick it up. - or are the adv springs too short?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
dibdob is after softening his SE front end up you may be able to swap with him, he's off on hols this week but pm him he should pick it up. - or are the adv springs too short?
The springs should be completely interchangeable. The only difference is that the heavier springs might bind a little on the hydrstop on the ADV forks - just need to sand/grind/shave/whatever the fins on the hydrostop down a little.

Id be curious if dibdob wants to go with softer springs on the SE... maybe softer valving... I guess its up to him. But the SE springs are pretty good for an average weight rider. (if anything maybe the rear spring is too heavy for a normal-sized rider...)

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
You can use KTM SE fork springs but you need some spacers.
@ Dakar990, Sorry as suggested above I'm fitting SE fork springs, (forgot to hit the quote button :)

according to what I've been told you need to make sure the spacers are just right.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I've just done this mod this morning. Although the SE springs are 1/2 an inch shorter than the stock 990 ones, they fitted fine without spacers, ending up just compressed slightly with the preload wound all the way out. A Mooky says you need to take out the hydrostop and file it down a little so it slides through the spring ok. I had a bit of a panic as one of these was binding and wouldn't unscrew from the damper rod, a pair of circlip pliers down the inside of the rod to hold it still did the trick though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts