KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

I hope you don't mind me putting a link to this here, but I don't think many people will actually look in the "Wanted" section.

A friend of mine is looking to graft an Adventure front end into his Aprilia Caponord as he just can't get the forks right, and every time he rides my Adventure he realises just how good it could be! (He has a WP shock already, so no problems there!)
The Caponord just doesn't have the quality of damping control, and fitting other cartridges isn't really viable. They did briefly make a Rally Raid version with adjustable forks which are apparently a lot better, but they're like hen's teeth...

So, the plan is a full Adventure front end, but with the 19" rim laced to a KTM hub. So, if anyone has anything in the list in the link could you please drop me a line with what and how much you'd like for it? He would like the calipers too as he thought they were the same but of course they aren't...

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/bikes-bits-wanted/59790-adventure-front-end.html

Cheers,
Coose

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Well its not a full front end but mooky on here was selling the forks recently - drop him a PM to see if he still has them - he may have more bits too

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers old chap, I'll drop him a line! He's just looking to collect the bits as they come up so he's not expecting to pick them up in one hit.

p.s. That was a great Morroco write-up! :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
EEEEk, easier to sell the capo and buy an Adv!
FWIW i remember an article in MCN 2-3 weeks ago about some fancy new cartridges that were a drop in for Caponord forks. (no I don't know why they chose that for their first release other than other Capo riders feel the same as your mate). The article claimed it was like getting a new bike. No doubt not cheap (I don't remember seeing any prices but there was a web link or tel no I think) Given the price of going the current planned route I would think its worth checking. (In addition to Mooks bits a clean set of WP forks alone is going to be £400-£500)

Also if he's thinking of using the Capo 19 inch front rim and KTM hub; it wont work without very careful mods to spoke angles/holes etc and I don't know of anyone who does it in UK, so your then on for a custom hub as well.

Happy musing!

Welshlamb

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Also if he's thinking of using the Capo 19 inch front rim and KTM hub; it wont work without very careful mods to spoke angles/holes etc and I don't know of anyone who does it in UK, so your then on for a custom hub as well.
Hm. You sure about that? Im pretty sure sproot has a standard KTM hub with his capo wheels (or maybe my memory isnt as good as it used to be...)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the responses, and I got your PM Mooky and I'll let him know. He is patient and is happy to gather up the bits as and when they appear.

The Caponord forks aren't bad now, with decent oil and the Ricor Inseminators (which will be the things that welshlamb mentioned - £100 a set) that do give it a fair bit more high speed compression damping but it's still no KTM front end. And that's entirely his point - the rest of the bike is sorted but the forks let it down and they really shouldn't! He's tried every other mod that's available off the shelf and he's got it about as good as it's going to get without going down the route of Rally Raid forks, but as I said they're rather rare and probably no cheaper than grafting in a KTM front end. Which we all know is a good thing... ;)

Regarding lacing the Cap rim to the KTM hub, we did a lot of research yesterday and the front is apparently pretty straight-forward; it's the rear that's awkward. Luckily he's happy with the rear!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts