KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

After fitting a repair kit, my clutch master cylinder was still not operating correctly, loosing pressure ( no fluid ) but causing problems when I was fethering the clutch in slow traffic.

When I took the cylinder apart, I noticed I had some marks down the barrel.

I swopped to a friends spare cylinder and the bike rode ok.

I need a new master cylinder and KTM from my manual is quoting part number 6000203000, which is a Magura 10.5mm bore replacement at £220.

I spoke to a KTM dealer on the south coast and he tells me that the part has been superseded to 76502013000, which is 11mm bore and on their website states it fits the duke and super duke but not the 2007 990 adventurer and id £50 more expensive.

Does anyone know if this true cause I don't want to fit the wrong one.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Have you checked that the oil jet is clear, what type have slave have you got ( if its a oe unit, may need changing, well done if it is. Oberon are the ones) also behind the slave is a push rod and ball bearing, check and clean

1. Clean the oil jet for clutch lubrication.
Ktm hall of wisdom is a great source of info, also search on here as well, lots of threads about the clutch etc
Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Double L, your reply is appreciated.

The story so far is ...... as I found the spongy clutch lever I checked the fluid reservoir. Noticed it was low on fluid so checked for leaks and removed the OE slave unit. Found a leak and replaced it with an Oberon orange one, looks great. topped up fluid and bleed system. Worked slightly better but still not great so put in a master cylinder repair kit. Found the oil jet above the slave and all though I got the large nut off but I couldn't remove the oil jet. Re-bleed fluid but still not completely gone. Took it to my KTM mechanic friend, who took the clutch cover off and the clutch basket with the plates and said after 40,000, it still looked very good, as he thought perhaps the plates was sticking. He then removed the clutch push rod and was able to spray wd40 down the oil jet hole, with the jet in situ and it was blocked. After using an air line and more WD40, it was clear. He then resembled the clutch and I took it for a test ride. The soft feel was still there. He then removed the inside of the master cylinder and discovered a slight scoring on the inside barrel. He had a spare master cylinder, swapped it over, bleed the system and I test rode it. All good so I ordered a new hence the query on the part number. I checked KTM hall of fame, loads of great info but no mention on the clave master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Looks like you have done it all then. Must be the slave. With the oil jet, stick a thin flat bladed driver down there, feel for the groove and undo, then get the airline to blow it out. Whilst it's out I got a zip tie and cut it at the thickest point to fit the groove, for next time. I now have a special kit, just for that job.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
As above. First time getting the oil jet out is odd as you cant actually see it - l photographed it so l had more of an idea, and that helped. A decent flat bladed driver on a small drive and ratchet will do the job. Blow the airline over the opening - not into it - and the loosened jet will pop out 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you have done it all then. Must be the slave. With the oil jet, stick a thin flat bladed driver down there, feel for the groove and undo, then get the airline to blow it out. Whilst it's out I got a zip tie and cut it at the thickest point to fit the groove, for next time. I now have a special kit, just for that job.
Good luck
Good luck
Be aware Double L that the oil jet has a hole in the middle of the screwdriver slot and possibly that zip tie is now blocking it. My jet was blocked, even though I couldn't get it out, but by squirting some WD40 in the case cover, once it was unblocked, the WD40 went down and because we removed the clutch rod, we could see the wd40 pi**ing out the push rod seal near the removed slave cylinder. Because my oil jet was blocked, when we took the clutch rod out, there was a bit of scarring near that seal and my mechanic friend, smoothed it out with every paper.
I do have to say, now the bike has no clutch chattering and the operation is more smooth.
Cant wait for the new master cylinder but don't understand this part number and bore size change.
Any views?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Cant help with the master cylinder, but I can't see why it's a different size. Have you looked at the parts Fische. I wouldn't be surprised if the SMR, Superduke and smt are all the same.
The zip tie is to get the jet out to clean it with my guitar string, done it enough times, but now. On my old 990 (08plater with 50K on) I fitted a slightly bigger jet, never had the issue since. Just need to select neutral, whilst off roading, before you stop as its hit and miss when you stop, if you don't.
On my 990r, ot had a problem with jet, in 21K miles. Seems to only affect the earlier 990s.
Some 950s never had a hole, by all accounts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts