KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

New to the forum and I was hoping you could offer me a little help.

I’ve been offered a 2011 KTM 250 EXC which is road registered (on plates) and looks in photos as it’s in decent condition.

I would like to know what the common issues are for this model year and what to check on inspection of the bike.

I’m waiting back to hear about history and hours on the bike as the old boy that owns it is in his 70’s… but he bought it around 2 years ago and it’s not been ridden since.

If the hours are average and in decent condition, what would it be worth?

Thank you!

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That looks like a nice bike. It would be important to know the hours and history but hour meters are pretty unreliable. However, on first glance, that looks to be in better condition than my 2014 with 265 hours.

There's not a lot that can go wrong with it apart from needing a full rebuild and/or missing gears etc.

But you'll need to check for:

Lots of smoke when warmed up could be an indicator of a crank seal issue
Milky transmission oil could be water pump seal
Contaminated coolant or bubbles in the radiator when running could be head gasket leaks
Any obvious knocking or rattling that doesn't change when the clutch lever is pulled in

Otherwise, a bike of that age could need not much, or it could need all the frame/wheel bearings etc. The pegs, cases, levers could indicate the wear but again, they could all be replacements.

You should budget a top end at least and maybe a bottom end.

Price could be £2500 - 3000 easy but you may end up putting another grand into it.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Looks ok, I'd say £2500-£2750.

With any bike of this age you will find problems so budget for that. Don't expect it to be perfect. All you cab do is just use a bit of common sense and try to take an objective view. Does it look well kept for? Does it start up ok, does it sound OK?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was interested to see what the valuation was first before saying, but he wants £2,700 firm. But as mentioned some old boy that bought it over 2 years ago and never used it, been in a garage at least.

The reason I don’t all info yet is because I’m dealing with an old boy that doesn’t know how to use a phone haha

the other bonus is my mate went with him two years ago to buy it with him and is a bike guy so he told me was very tidy when he bought it etc, and the chap he bought it off wasn’t a dickhead only doing wheelies for instagram lol

just wanted to make sure I was on the right track with the price as I don’t want to start haggling with the old boy lol

for reference I had totally prepared myself to buy a brand new KTM so basically saw this and my thought was if I can drop £2k into this I’m still half the price of a new one, and won’t cry as much when it gets dropped a fair bit!!

i might be too old for 2 stroke now so good way to dip my toe in lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not heard it running but was bought running etc, I’m a motorsport mechanic by trade so no problem stripping it down and rebuilding it, happy to put £2500 into it, so if I could keep it under £5k be a great option!

Throw everything in the aqua blaster and ultrasonic tank and be like a new one when I’m finished.

It looks honest bike so will be going to look collect it over weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thing is, I’m going to loose nothing going and have a look, if it ticks all the boxes then I’ll throw it on the pickup and bring it back :) if not will look for something newer.

I believe it’s a six speed too which is a bonus.

logically, I would sooner have something cheaper a smash up to start with and then get a new bike once I know what I want and secondly if I know I’m still fit enough to ride :)

if I tidy it up a bit and even do a top end build I’m not really going to loose any money on it.

i should say if it’s right I don’t might spending a bit of money on it etc if it’s a dog I won’t bother.

Im heavy rider now so going to have to change allot anyway even if I buy a newer bike.

either way not going to buy a dog that needs everything, as you say might as well go put £5k into something newer with hopefully less issues.

but at that price, there will no point to ever sell it and when I get a new one I will take this as a spare with me. (Even if it’s for a buddy to borrow).

as I would be pissed if I went a long way for a ride and bike broke down or I broke it, so having a cheaper spare seems logical, as long as it’s not a money pit lol

If I was worried about spending too much money I wouldn’t be looking at KTM would I haha 🤣

·
Registered
512 Posts
At the end of the day its going to be a very old bike after you have thrown a lot of money at it, I sold a 2014 for £3000 but it was fucked nothing worked on it & it needed needed a bottom end rebuild the way I looked at it if I did all the work it would set me back £1,500 + & £5,000 gets you a lot newer better bike. If you can take the fly wheel cover off grab hold of the fly wheel & check for play not only up & down also in & out. Mine had a lot of play in & out the main bearings were well fucked. Looking at the pics it does look nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and I presume you can still buy all parts from KTM still for these?

Anyone know cost of top end rebuild, bottom end rebuild and a cylinder for the 2011, just round about numbers etc

I’m guessing a rebuild every 100h?

News just in…Just been told 2954miles and it’s on 160h, said it’s had a top end rebuild with KTM genuine parts just before he bought it!! Got the paperwork.

think this is the one

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had the exact same model from new and it was excellent. One bike I should have kept much longer.

Mine had an electric starter as standard and I don't remember it being an option. It might be worth checking that it is actually a 2011 model. The plastics look right but the frame and engine numbers will confirm it, assuming that the numbers on the V5 match.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was interested to see what the valuation was first before saying, but he wants £2,700 firm. But as mentioned some old boy that bought it over 2 years ago and never used it, been in a garage at least.

The reason I don’t all info yet is because I’m dealing with an old boy that doesn’t know how to use a phone haha

the other bonus is my mate went with him two years ago to buy it with him and is a bike guy so he told me was very tidy when he bought it etc, and the chap he bought it off wasn’t a dickhead only doing wheelies for instagram lol

just wanted to make sure I was on the right track with the price as I don’t want to start haggling with the old boy lol

for reference I had totally prepared myself to buy a brand new KTM so basically saw this and my thought was if I can drop £2k into this I’m still half the price of a new one, and won’t cry as much when it gets dropped a fair bit!!

i might be too old for 2 stroke now so good way to dip my toe in lol
£2700 is a very reasonable price, seems quite tidy in the pictures.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh and I presume you can still buy all parts from KTM still for these?

Anyone know cost of top end rebuild, bottom end rebuild and a cylinder for the 2011, just round about numbers etc

I’m guessing a rebuild every 100h?

News just in…Just been told 2954miles and it’s on 160h, said it’s had a top end rebuild with KTM genuine parts just before he bought it!! Got the paperwork.

think this is the one
parts no problem, piston change around £160 ( easy job )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the exact same model from new and it was excellent. One bike I should have kept much longer.

Mine had an electric starter as standard and I don't remember it being an option. It might be worth checking that it is actually a 2011 model. The plastics look right but the frame and engine numbers will confirm it, assuming that the numbers on the V5 match.
I asked this first and he said that the previous guy converted it from electric start as they where common for failing, so it has to been apart to have that changed in the box. I’m happy with kick start.

when my mate went with him to buy it, (it’s my mates uncle) he went through everything and checked numbers and the v5 and he said it must have matched as they would not have bought it.. but I will clearly check myself when I go look at it.

it ticks all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Removing the starter is as simple as unbolting the ingnition cover, pulling out the Bendix and then putting back on a different cover and then removing the electric bits - so doesn't imply the engine has been open.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, :)
It has several improvements over a standard EXC
E.G.
Selle Dalla Valle seat cover, Orange frame, Orange billet fork yokes, etc
I’ll be sure to cherish the orange paint on the frame lol

I noticed the fork clamps, but thought very little of it tbf, the orange frame I thought meant last of that current model.

doesn’t matter how fancy it looks when it’s bouncing along the floor upside down with me sliding behind it haha

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Is that a comp4 front tyre? If so then that’s a tyre that has not been around for a good while now. This suggests that the bike was being used by someone who did use/race it and then it’s been stashed away. There’s lots of little areas that are not heavily worn/bashed as they would be on high/hard use bikes.

You could have a real bargain there. The standing idle for ages can be rectified with some servicing and re commission work. Be sure to flush the brakes and clutch lines with new fluid. New coolant (might as well do a top end kit), gear box oil changes to flush any rust out, plug, throttle cable, grease all chassis bearings, service suspension and enjoy. You’ll soon find out if there’s any other issues.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts