KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I
Personally I won't buy second hand but I think this bike looks in very good nick for the age and maybe I'm missing something but those pictures make it look very tidy.

Get it started and nice and warm and listen to the engine, you obviously know what you're looking for. If there's nothing dodgy when it's running then buy it.

My 2014 with 265 hours is much more ropey than that but it still rides and runs nice. I'm thinking a bottom end between 300-350 hours maybe. They are solid bikes.
I personally avoid buying second hand as it’s a false economy sometimes, I would sooner buy new and own it for 4 years or until I’m bored of it, but at least I know the history and no big surprises.

let’s be honest most people bodge shit together to sell it, if it was truly mint why would you sell it haha

the only thing that hooked me was the price!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think you are over thinking this. From the pictures, that looks like an honest well looked after middle aged bike. I have an 11 300 Factory, owned it for years, got 500+ hours on it, looks considerably rougher than this bike. For the amount if riding I do these days its more than adequate.
Beat him down to £2500, use the missing leccy start as leverage, hand full of cash under his nose. Do you really need to spunk 8 grand on a new one?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think you are over thinking this. From the pictures, that looks like an honest well looked after middle aged bike. I have an 11 300 Factory, owned it for years, got 500+ hours on it, looks considerably rougher than this bike. For the amount if riding I do these days its more than adequate.
Beat him down to £2500, use the missing leccy start as leverage, hand full of cash under his nose. Do you really need to spunk 8 grand on a new one?
I want it, but got the feeling from what people are saying to be overly cautious and I’m trying to be logical, I want to buy it but I don’t want to buy with my heart and not my head!

this is why I asked the forum as to have your experience etc, because at a glance I would be like whatever and ride it.

as I always say to my customers “do you want to be a mechanic, or do you just want to race” most when being honest will say, they actually just want to race.

just touching on buying a new one, I see everything as you don’t know what it’s cost you until the day you sell it, if I buy a new bike at £8k then it’s not £8k I’m loosing is it, realistically it will be £2-4k depending on condition in a few years time when I sell it. If we say I put £2k into this bike and it makes it no more valuable and I sell it in two years time for say £3k then both routes have cost me the same, just one I’ve had to bank roll… however saying that I didn’t actually realise you can have finance on a new bike too lol that madness lol so it could be cheaper to rent the bike haha

just saying.

cast your vote, money where mouth is.

should I buy this second hand bike?

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
I would not.

All of my dirtbikes over the last 15 yrs, bar one, have been new ones as you know what you are getting into - buy new, strip, grease, waterproof electrics, etc, ride and maintain as required.

The only time in this period that l have bought s/h was from a member on here and that bike wasnt being made anymore and the bike was mint.

Life is too short to be fixing other peoples fuck ups on 2nd hand bikes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Haha says allot when I asked my mrs opinion (dangerous decision) and she said and I quote “ah, no, don’t fucj about some junk your going to moan about for months as your rebuilding part by part, not having it, telling me why it needs new this and new that and then it still being shit, go buy a new one you cheap [email protected]

haha! That’s her vote pmsl.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Haha no worries, thought you was throwing me a curve ball at the last moment!

If anyone else wants the bike drop me a pm as the guy is looking to sell etc abs be nice if I can help him out etc.

located in Birmingham.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts