KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 990 smr at the moment, thinking of swaping it in for an new 2013 690 smc-r. Have got a decent deal at my ktm-shop, virtually swaping my 990 with Akras for an new smc-r.

I have ridden 990's three seasons now, started on an 990 sm 2008 and now the last season an 990 smr 2011. Would be nice to try something new :rolleyes:

The SMR is a great overall, suspension is more track focused and a bit bumpy on backroads (missing the more forgiving SM suspension on roads). I hardly use any of its power except when pulling wheelies tbh.

Got a few mates who also also looks at 690's for next season, so I wont be left behind some 1000cc sportbikes or so. Feels like a 690 should be more fun when it comes to random hooliganism and riding backroads, its 50kg's lighter than the 990 after all. I probably will miss the 990's suspension on trackdays tho.

Anyone with experience or thoughts please share! :)

/Jensen

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I did something similiar. I had 2006 950 SM for 3,5 years (from new) and changed it for 2009 690 SMC (used with 2600 km's on the clock). 690 isn't slower in the city and back roads, so it was good move IMO. On trackdays it's different, but fun. On kart tracks (I know, some people say it's heavy but on good tyres and with sorted suspension it feels another 20 kilos lighter) and on gravel roads it's much better.
950 SM was very good, but i don't miss it when riding 690 SMC:burnout:. And they say 690 SMC-R is better than 690 SMC. Go for it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I own an 990 smr at the moment, thinking of swaping it in for an new 2013 690 smc-r. Have got a decent deal at my ktm-shop, virtually swaping my 990 with Akras for an new smc-r.

I have ridden 990's three seasons now, started on an 990 sm 2008 and now the last season an 990 smr 2011. Would be nice to try something new :rolleyes:

The SMR is a great overall, suspension is more track focused and a bit bumpy on backroads (missing the more forgiving SM suspension on roads). I hardly use any of its power except when pulling wheelies tbh.

Got a few mates who also also looks at 690's for next season, so I wont be left behind some 1000cc sportbikes or so. Feels like a 690 should be more fun when it comes to random hooliganism and riding backroads, its 50kg's lighter than the 990 after all. I probably will miss the 990's suspension on trackdays tho.

Anyone with experience or thoughts please share! :)

/Jensen
Would you sell it private and put it towards it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did something similiar. I had 2006 950 SM for 3,5 years (from new) and changed it for 2009 690 SMC (used with 2600 km's on the clock). 690 isn't slower in the city and back roads, so it was good move IMO. On trackdays it's different, but fun. On kart tracks (I know, some people say it's heavy but on good tyres and with sorted suspension it feels another 20 kilos lighter) and on gravel roads it's much better.
950 SM was very good, but i don't miss it when riding 690 SMC:burnout:. And they say 690 SMC-R is better than 690 SMC. Go for it.
Thanks for your thoughts :) Nice to hear that suspension settings do a lot, I like to fiddle around with settings to make it better. Probably should give the SMC-R an try.

Would you sell it private and put it towards it?
Not really, the dealer takes it in and sells it. I bought the 990 smr from the same dealer about a year ago too.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts :) Nice to hear that suspension settings do a lot, I like to fiddle around with settings to make it better. Probably should give the SMC-R an try.

Not really, the dealer takes it in and sells it. I bought the 990 smr from the same dealer about a year ago too.
I was giving you a hint because I was interested lol

·
Registered
983 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
i've got both bikes :) 2009 990SM(T), and 2009 enduroR/SMC wheels

i like the 690 better in almost all situations, except highway, and rides with pillions. my g/f hates it...and loves the 990.
the 690 wheelies easier still (if that's possible in comparison to the 990 wheeliemonster :D ), and also much easier to control, less scary.

In the city and small backroads, you will outrun all of your mates on bigger bikes.

I do not miss the power of the 990, although it's a nice 'coming home' after a couple of weeks on the 690, and then jumping on the powermonster 990 and feeling how quickly the speed builds up in comparison to the little bike.
The little bike is all about weight, 135kg with a full exhaust...it's just wonderful, you can almost not drop it, and you always feel in control, even though you're sliding around and generally being an idiot :D

It's a bit better on petrol too if that's a concern. :)

DO IT. changing bikes always gives more appetite for riding :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
What the fuck you on about?

NONSE!!!!!!! Lol
Well done lew-hand.

From his name and his use of English in his posts, it is reasonably obvious Jensen is from Sweden.

As a result and if you want to buy his bike, you will as he suggests, have to travel to Sweden to see / buy it.

Your post isn't what this forum should be about.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ahh apologies all, I didn't realise he was Swedish being a UK forum

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i've got both bikes :) 2009 990SM(T), and 2009 enduroR/SMC wheels

i like the 690 better in almost all situations, except highway, and rides with pillions. my g/f hates it...and loves the 990.
the 690 wheelies easier still (if that's possible in comparison to the 990 wheeliemonster :D ), and also much easier to control, less scary.

In the city and small backroads, you will outrun all of your mates on bigger bikes.

I do not miss the power of the 990, although it's a nice 'coming home' after a couple of weeks on the 690, and then jumping on the powermonster 990 and feeling how quickly the speed builds up in comparison to the little bike.
The little bike is all about weight, 135kg with a full exhaust...it's just wonderful, you can almost not drop it, and you always feel in control, even though you're sliding around and generally being an idiot :D

It's a bit better on petrol too if that's a concern. :)

DO IT. changing bikes always gives more appetite for riding :)

Same as him!! Id the 990 and the 690 at the same time, sold the 990..
Same again, my missus went nuts, she loved pillion on the 990, hates it on the 690..

You'll be needin to change the exhaust system on the 690, its completely choked up with the standard system.

690 cost half the money on petrol too..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for your response guys! Really appreciate you thoughts. After taking some with my bike mates and reading up some Im calling the dealer tomorrow and booking an 690 smc-r! No missus to piss off either so im safe.. :)

I will for sure put a full open exhaust and also some sort of open filter on the bike, thinking of getting an wideband lamda with A/F display and do some mapping with TuneECU too.

Ahh apologies all, I didn't realise he was Swedish being a UK forum
No worries

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't do it!!
I've recently sold my 10 plate 990 SMR and bought a 59 plate 690 smc, I just fancied a change. I've always liked the look of the 690, I like the idea of it being lighter and more flickable, but after about 50 miles I regretted it. Nothing wrong with the bike, it's just not what I was expecting, the SMR's more comfortable, quicker, slightly lower and twice as powerful.
Keep it.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Well done lew-hand.

From his name and his use of English in his posts, it is reasonably obvious Jensen is from Sweden.

As a result and if you want to buy his bike, you will as he suggests, have to travel to Sweden to see / buy it.

Your post isn't what this forum should be about.
I suspect after 4000+ posts Wazza has a handle on what the forum is about.

Used live in Sweden and never met anyone called Jensen but hey ho

·
Registered
14,991 Posts
Don't do it!!
I've recently sold my 10 plate 990 SMR and bought a 59 plate 690 smc, I just fancied a change. I've always liked the look of the 690, I like the idea of it being lighter and more flickable, but after about 50 miles I regretted it. Nothing wrong with the bike, it's just not what I was expecting, the SMR's more comfortable, quicker, slightly lower and twice as powerful.
Keep it.
I bloody told you ! didn't I ????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts