KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike will be 2 years old this month and I won't be taking KTM up on there offer of an aditional 2 years warrenty so I'll be having a go at the valve clearences :eek: which I've never done before :eek: . I've got almost 6500 miles , I've always chanced oil & filter myself every 2000 miles so I'd be due to change oil & filter within the next week but should I hold off as the valves are due to be done in September ( which would be a year since the last service ) but I probably won't have 9000 miles on the bike by then . Or do I wait till I have 9000 miles ??
Big thanks for any advice in advance :D

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The valves are more a mileage issue than a time issue so I wouldn't rush to do them before the mileage interval is reached.

My own experience is that mine DID need doing when first checked but I'd let it run to about 11,000 miles. Last check showed them nicely in tolerance.

At 6500 miles I doubt yours need doing yet (if they were correclty set at first service)

It's an easy job. Most things are easy on these bikes - they are so well designed and made for working on.

I have a collection of shims I can send you if you need any. use what you need, throw your old ones back in the pot .................... if that makes sense. If you need to buy any shims I can highly recommend the Harley Davidson shims as these come in half sizes and make getting the clearances spot on much easier. if you do buy shims buy 1 extra of whatever sizes you need and throw them in with my shims - between us all we can build up a useful set of shims.

Pete

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If it runs OK, then leave till 9,000 miles, as that is the normal service interval, unless of cours you're caneing the shit out of it on a regular basis.

As far as doing the clearances, it's pretty easy as long as you've got a little previous experince/mechanical sympathy and take your time.

The only thing that confused me a little was the cam timing marks, so I would recomend painting your own marks on the cam gears before removing them, to be absolutely certain you put them back in the right way when reassembling.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Get it up to mccallems for a proper service you tight Bassturd,
Only joking, i'm sure he will put it back togeather for you it you turn up with a box of left over bits,
goodluck!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys for replies , I'll just do the oil & filter this in coming week and wait till I've the 9K on the clock . Pete that sounds good about the shims , I'll let ya know when I'm goin to do them . :D

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
Oil change - engine hot

Valve clearances - engine cold preferably overnight

It always suprises me when dealers manage to do the valves the same morning as the bike is ridden there.................................... well, they charge for doing them ;)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil change - engine hot

Valve clearances - engine cold preferably overnight

It always suprises me when dealers manage to do the valves the same morning as the bike is ridden there.................................... well, they charge for doing them ;)

Cheers Kev , most say to leave the valves till I get to 9K so I think I'll do that even though it'll be more than a year on from the last service .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts