KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some off Ebay. I dont know anyone that uses it down here, no salt.
Whats the best way to apply it? Only on the engine?
Should I use this spray bottle?
BF6A406B-ED3F-477F-82B1-613F731B9B46.jpg
Or an air gun? Just a light coverage? One coat? The instructions are pretty vague, I dont want to waste it, its not cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the spray bottle to be pretty useless because it didn't spray so much as squirt.
Look up the Missenden Flyer on YouTube, he done a video on applying it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that spray bottle looks crap in his video! Mist would be better. Especially in hard to reach spots.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Make sure to warm it up before you spray it because it applys in a much better mist then. I tried to spray it cold and it came out like shaving foam, although it was from the aerosol can they do rather than the spray type you have. I just submerged it in warm water for 10 mins and it applied fine after that.

I covered the front and back wheels and sprayed it all over the engine, under the seat etc. Give the bike a good clean first though.

Also don't get it on the brakes - surprisingly some people spray it all over them and then find out they can't stop soon after!

It does leave a bit of an oily residue but it dries after a few days/rides I found.

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a video of a Scottish bloke using a spray gun, way better!
No idea why he uses that hand spray bottle.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I use a compressor and paint gun. It only needs the lightest mist then rub it in with a cloth. The squirty bottle or aerosols are quite useful for reaching out of the way fasteners.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
I use a rag. Spray it on the rag till soaked and then rub it everywhere i want/need. Admittedly mine doesn't really need full coverage like some may though as it won't move until April.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Reactions: Bollocks

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
A fine mist is best for better coverage..That pump action bottle don't spray well, maybe use another household cleaning bottle with adjustable nozzle. As been said, warm up a little, not too hot, it will knacker the pump. Compressor is best for coverage though. Use and keep same rag, you can touch up with rag whenever you fancy..I still wash bike after use but only spray this twice a year ish.. Some folks don't wash bike all winter once applied but I ain't that brave. May have missed a bit when applying..I hate salt.

Don't think there is any connection with Arsenal Football Club...;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of ACF-50. Mainly I use it on (aluminium) aeroplanes so it's quite tricky to get into all the right places. I only started using it on Bikes once I'd realized just how good it is.

I use a Tek-Spray wax injection gun on the aeroplanes (they cost £80 - the genuine ACF-50 injection gun costs about £150) there's a couple of jets and long plastic tubes to get right into wings etc. At 80 psi using the above kit the stuff is almost just vapour from the gun - I can treat a whole aeroplane with about 2/3 of a quart bottle.

To be honest though, for bikes this is really just overkill. The single best tip I could offer would be to stand the bottle in a bowl of hot water before you use it - this makes the ACF thin to roughly the consistency of paraffin and it goes on much better with less waste and mess. The other top tip is to part all the electrical connectors and put a squirt in - no more crusty blue wires !

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
compressor and fine gun. ensure you mask off any parts that dont want it eg brake discs, instruments, bars, tyres etc etc

why'd you need it anyway? thought it was sun all year round with you wankers!

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long wet winter this year and it’s summer next week and the weather is still shit!
It works out quite cost effective when you consider how little you use. And I’ll only do it once a year.
I rode through road works the other week and it covered my bike in crap. Im so over washing bikes and cars too. Rather lay by the pool.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Long wet winter this year and it’s summer next week and the weather is still shit!
It works out quite cost effective when you consider how little you use. And I’ll only do it once a year.
I rode through road works the other week and it covered my bike in crap. Im so over washing bikes and cars too. Rather lay by the pool.:D
I bought a 4L bottle three years ago for use in my compressor gun. I use it after every wash all year round on both bikes. There's still two thirds left.

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn’t sure how far it went until I bought it and did some research. About 100ml per bike in a compressor? Bloody bargain.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Keeps your black plastics dark and shiny as well. Keeps the bike looking brand new. Use it everywhere except paint, glass and brakes.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I used to spray the tank on my SMT but that was mat black. For lacquered paintwork I use polish as well. ACF 50 won't hurt paintwork but you won't get the shine you get from polish.
I do use it on painted wheels though. Helps to clean them and stops the crap sticking so they're easier to clean next time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts