KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have fitted an aftermarket exhaust.
Have you also blocked your SAS?

I read somewhere (can't really remember where) that the SAS maybe responsible for the akras that have split open.
Blocked SAS also, reduces the popping when closing the throttle...(thats bad though :D )

So, in order to block the SAS, if you get two plates and put then beneath the thingy that this rubber hose is attached to, is it OK? (in order not to remove all the hoses, connectors etc)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Secondary Air System, it is a system that injects fresh air into the exhaust in order to burn off any remaining unburnt fuel...

·
Registered
213 Posts
The main reason I fitted the SAS plates on my bike was the crazy explosions (the words popping & banging would not do it justice) that I got when I shut the throttle too quickly, it used to shit the life out of people in cars & walking down the street, though my mates have miss the huge flames shooting out of the side of the bike when following me now.
I don't know anything about them stopping the Akras from splitting but it would make sense if your not creating explosions in the exhaust any more. In my opinion the bike also felt a lot smoother at low revs (I'm not sure if there's any logical reason for this).
Once I unclipped the hoses from the engine & fitted the block off plates I just plugged the end of the hoses & tie wrapped them inside of the fairing. If you take them off completely you save a bit of weight but you'll get an error code on the dash.
By the way at least one guy on here didn't bother with the plates, he just jammed a couple of ball bearings down the tubes & it seemed to work a treat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
any way to deal with the error code if you remove them ? does the akra map allow remaval without error code ?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes there is a connector, of the air valve that you have to fit an eliminator...you can DIY by placing a resistance on the cables...
there is a thread on the superduke.net that explains it...
I will post it when I find it...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if you remove the pipework you have to close some holes...
What I will do if I fit an exhaust, is just fit the plates and remove nothing. That way if I ever wish to put the stock exhaust back you just remove the plates...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts