KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys use these when out riding ? Wet or dusty conditions. I know they will probably be weather dependent. Needing to order another air filter as a spare and was tempted to buy a cover if beneficial when making my order.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I run a exc-f 350 most of my miles have been out on dusty trails in Spain, The filter is never as bad as I would think it’s going to be when checked, I change my filter every day I ride regardless,So I have one oiled and ready to go, Personally I wouldn’t bother with a skin,

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I’ve used them. Very handy if swamp riding or merciless dust fest. Saves a filter change.

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I mostly trail ride, do the odd enduro fun day at a place with an MX track & Enduro add-on, the MX section can be completely blanked out in dust and if riding around that all day in those conditions I would be concerned, but I only spend a few mins of each 20 min lap on it before getting onto Enduro bit where riders are thined out and not so much dust.

Out on the trails when riding in a group on a dry day I tend to sit back from the guy in front a bit so I am not breathing dust in / unable to see, which helps keep worst of dust away from filter.

Obviously filter change every ride, may do 2 short winter muddy runs on one filter (a short day for me is about 2-3 hours on the meter)

I did wonder if the skin for wet would help protect against water getting in if going through deep water or a river crossing where the water starts lapping up to the filter?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
It’s not other bikes creating dust that’s the issue I think. It’s your own bike. If you like punching into deep dusty corners and clutching out then you create a big plume, the motor sucks this into the air box as you are on the gas hard. Only way to avoid it is go very gently and avoid dust.

I’m not a dust fan. I back right off as if I can’t see then I won’t give it some. There’s just no point crashing because you couldn’t see. Impossible to defend a crash this way.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you like punching into deep dusty corners and clutching out then you create a big plume, the motor sucks this into the air box as you are on the gas hard. Only way to avoid it is go very gently and avoid dust.
Hardly describes the average TRF day out ;-)

But good point, and illustrates their is no right answer

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I run the Twin Air dust and sand covers, they definitely help take some of the worst off it. Filters come off looking clean. The sand filters are a hassle to fit unless you’ve got child like hands. Worth it though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put on a new twin air, pre oiled filter today. Was out roughly 3 hrs riding. weather conditions weren't the worst. When I got the bike home and removed the filter for washing it looks like dirt has somehow passed through the filter. Hopefully not to much got through. Only thing I can think of is that maybe their wasnt enough oil on the filter or its passed through the seal against the filter housing. Usually I add some grease around the inside of the filter to mate against the plastic filter flange but on this occassion I never bothered as the seal looked good. Just goes to show how easy dirt particles can pass through.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Defo. I use spray grease as its easier than using a tub. Putoline action fluid as filter oil (not the spray) and stale petrol as the cleaner. Never rotted a filter.

After petrol, use wash up liquid then rinse from inside out under a tap.

Dry filter, dunk in putoline, wring out, put in biscuit tin for next use. Best to have a couple on the go so you can clean bike and pop in a clean one.

I leave the action fluid in a biscuit tin as a bath - just dunk filter only when totally clean then filter oil stays clean.

Biscuit tin for filter oil, one for cleaning filter and then tin/s for storage. Sounds a faff, but being organised makes it easy and a stack of tins doesnt take up much room. I say 'tins' because mine are old, but a plastic 'celebrations' type tub will do the same job.

Been doing this for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts