KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen a front mudguard on ebay which is being sold as an original KTM part (think it was bought for his superduke)

point being is that its apparently Akra carbon but theres no akra carbon markings and its gloss, TBH it looks no different to the cheaper Hong kong imports to me but some of you may know better.

do akra make a gloss finish, more to the point if they dont why would gear4 being selling it as akra?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Assuming my Akra Ltd has an Akra Carbon front mud guard then yes they are gloss. Having just looked it dosn't appear to have the word Akra on it.

PLC 353(19) days to go

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm , interesting to know if that's akra carbon on the akra ltd then

I only ask as I'm 99% sure that all powerpart after Market akra carbon is matt finish and has the akra logos on it

tony???

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Yup, all the RC8 Powerpart Akra is a matt finish - far more sophisticated than what appears to be the snobby version ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You don't get a carbon hugger on the R, the front fender only and it is gloss finish and is NOT an Akky one. I bought the rear hugger and then had to get the front to match. The one on ebay aint an akky one in my view and when you look at the other items for sale its all random bits like a breaker/dealer. Ask for a photo of the Akky lable, it should have one.

PS My bad just seen its the front your looking at.
I've just dug my gloss one that came on the bike out and its not the same as the one on Ebay. The one I have does not have the rear fixing wings if you see what I mean, it just has the fixings down the fork stansion.
So its not a standard gloss one. It could be an Akky as its for a superdook and at £173 maybe why he bought it. The matt Akky one is about £245 I seem to remember:frown:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tbh if I was gonna buy a gloss carbon front or rear I wouldn't buy akra, simply cos the one on eBay looks no different to hong kong imports so why bother? Makes no sense, at least akra stuff looks different.
Not saying I wouldn't buy gloss carbon, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it is all I'm saying. Carbon is carbon in my view, none of us are that good an extra .000001 of a second on weight saving means fuck all so it's all about asthetics if were allhonest about it

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tbh if I was gonna buy a gloss carbon front or rear I wouldn't buy akra, simply cos the one on eBay looks no different to hong kong imports so why bother? Makes no sense, at least akra stuff looks different.
Not saying I wouldn't buy gloss carbon, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it is all I'm saying. Carbon is carbon in my view, none of us are that good an extra .000001 of a second on weight saving means fuck all so it's all about asthetics if were allhonest about it
Agree totaly When it comes to asthetics Akra are the beat And the quality is unquestionable Fucking expensive though ..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, expensive as fook but it's only worth it if it's the proper looking akra stuff IMO

I reckon akra don't make the gloss carbon for 'ktm' and owners assume it's akra just because of the akra/'ktm' link

not that it means that much too me as mentioned above

·
Registered
63 Posts
The front fender on the R is a matte finish "Wethje". I was surprised it isn't Akra. Perhaps this helps create some of the confusion.
I would get a matching rear fender if possible. Does anybody know if Wethje makes one?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The front fender on the R is a matte finish "Wethje". I was surprised it isn't Akra. Perhaps this helps create some of the confusion.
I would get a matching rear fender if possible. Does anybody know if Wethje makes one?
Mine was gloss here in the UK. Not only is the Akky one matt but the weave in the carbon is a lot finer.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Fucked if I know

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just did some digging around on this issue, there are 2 version of carbon made by Akrapovic for KTM. Regarding the front fender specifially there are 2 part numbers available!

6900811000049 will get you a matt finish branded fender at £210 retail

6110811000049 will get you a gloss finish fender also made by Akrapovic (confirmed) but WITHOUT branding. £185 retail.

The gloss one says it's for SuperDuke and RC8 but the matt one is listed for RC8 only. I suspect this is only because of styling as it matches all the other tasty carbon for the RC8 but one point of note is that in all KTM press pics of each the gloss has captive ally washers on the rear mounts whereas the matt one doesnt.

I want to get the matt one for my SDR as it looks hot but I dont like the gloss carbon one so it's matt or nothing for me. I cant see any reason why it wouldnt fit the SDR but if anyone has tried it out/got one on a SD(R) or knows sommat then please report.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts