KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's a fucking nightmare of a job to do properly. That's why dealers charge the earth doing it.

Make sure your drill bit is hard as nails as stainless rivets (included in the Akky repacking kit) are little fuckers.

Make sure you have a proper heavy duty rivet gun when putting it back together as stainless rivets are little fuckers. Having tried to do it once with substandard tools I'd happily pay a dealer the £140 over the cost of the packing kit to get it done properly......

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a fucking nightmare of a job to do properly. That's why dealers charge the earth doing it.

Make sure your drill bit is hard as nails as stainless rivets (included in the Akky repacking kit) are little fuckers.

Make sure you have a proper heavy duty rivet gun when putting it back together as stainless rivets are little fuckers. Having tried to do it once with substandard tools I'd happily pay a dealer the £140 over the cost of the packing kit to get it done properly......
Well just got off the phone to a well known exhaust maker around here, they will do it for £ 80 well happy;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
My dealer do mine - every 1000 km. Cost is about 150 UK Pound. He tell me it is a nighmare. You really need the right tools and have the skills.

I look forward to get my Twin Akra - which doesnt need repack so often (maybe never ?)

·
Registered
663 Posts
.... I look forward to get my Twin Akra - which doesnt need repack so often (maybe never ?)
I assembled mine a few weeks ago but due to shitty weahter I still have 0km on it by now!
Don't know about the needed frequency of repacking....
Since I had quite some "standard" pipes on IL4s before and never needed a repack, I assume I will sell the bike before needing a repack

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Thing is, it is a bloody nightmare.
As you can see in my thread i've done a few Akrapovic modifications recently, and they are not easy to say the least.

Oh and i do have all the right tools, including hardened titaniumnitrite drills and an airpowered nailgun. Simply repacking with wool or damping shit that is available in every shop is too easy. Chances are that you need to replace the protective sheet that's inside the damper as well. Repack Akra kit for the underbelly system is about € 100 (yeah yeah i know KTM is making a profit on these). But it does contain all the bits an pieces you need. Including gas thight rivets, new bands and the most important thing, 2 stickers!

Akra states repacking is needed every 1500 km on the road or every other race if you want to stay within the noise limits. But you never will with the underbelly Akra, so i say the hell with it.

Twin system is not to be repacked as far as i know. But it still is a good thing to keep a close eye and ear out, to see if it still functions as it should.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Did 15,000 miles on my last Akra without repacking it. It's that subliminal marketing again, mention on a forum that you need to repack this/ adjust that/ fit that duberferkiin and everyone buys/ fits / adjusts it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just got a price from redline to repack my akra, £ 200 fu#%ing he'll what do they pack it with!
This guy will charge a fraction off that and will do it cheaper still for folding. Performance stainless exhaust systems from Zorstec - the UK's best custom-built stainless steel exhaust company producing the UK's finest ranges of custom or factory replacement stainless steel Exhaust systems.
He does a mega job too. I had an akra race can on my Tuono that was very very hard on packing.Would only do a season before it started to bark a bit loud. Took it to him on recommendation and asked if there was some way of doing a 'heavy duty' re-pack. He used a special very heavy duty weave blanket which looked much tougher than the akra kit packing.He stocks it specifically for twins / heavy duty applications. He supplemented this with a wrap of stainless steel weave blanket over the baffle tube before the fibreglass.Lasted 3 seasons with no noticable change then I sold the bike last year. I took the loose can to him mid-week, did it while I waited £45 cash.

Prior to that I did re-pack it a couple of times myself but as is mentioned earlier in the thread , stainless rivets can be awkward to drill out and very difficult to ' snap ' with a standard hand rivet gun. Pneumatic rivet gun piece off piss. Drilling is straight forward if you have several brand new ' quality ' bits i.e sharp as they blunt easily , use a slow drill speed and a little oil to help keep the drill cool and don't apply too much pressure ...:)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
This guy will charge a fraction off that and will do it cheaper still for folding. Performance stainless exhaust systems from Zorstec - the UK's best custom-built stainless steel exhaust company producing the UK's finest ranges of custom or factory replacement stainless steel Exhaust systems.
He does a mega job too. I had an akra race can on my Tuono that was very very hard on packing.Would only do a season before it started to bark a bit loud. Took it to him on recommendation and asked if there was some way of doing a 'heavy duty' re-pack. He used a special very heavy duty weave blanket which looked much tougher than the akra kit packing.He stocks it specifically for twins / heavy duty applications. He supplemented this with a wrap of stainless steel weave blanket over the baffle tube before the fibreglass.Lasted 3 seasons with no noticable change then I sold the bike last year. I took the loose can to him mid-week, did it while I waited £45 cash.

Prior to that I did re-pack it a couple of times myself but as is mentioned earlier in the thread , stainless rivets can be awkward to drill out and very difficult to ' snap ' with a standard hand rivet gun. Pneumatic rivet gun piece off piss. Drilling is straight forward if you have several brand new ' quality ' bits i.e sharp as they blunt easily , use a slow drill speed and a little oil to help keep the drill cool and don't apply too much pressure ...:)
Do you have a picture of this heavy duty wool?

Slow is key wrt drilling
(ask your wife!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.