KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you bought an RC8 with an Akro already fitted ( like i did) how do you know if the Akro engine mapping has been done? Thought I would ask you lot since you all seem to be a very knowledgeable bunch. Cheers

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
The only way to tell is to get a dealer to plug it in to KTM diagnostics kit

·
Registered
885 Posts
On a similar theme, I fitted an Akra system to mine at the weekend. I previously had the PCIII set up on a dyno and now need to get it done again and get the Akra map installed too.. Who here has this setup, Akra and PCIII and what do you think? Good results, is the PCIII still necessary when you have the Akra map installed?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
if you have a PCIII you don't need the akra map...
If you get it mapped (custom) and then you put the akra map in, you have to remap it as the PC uses the ECU map to send the signals, if you see at a PC table all you will see is +2...-3 that kind of stuff. Thats because it adds or reduces fuel from the ECU map...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The akra map also disables the 2nd & 3rd gear limiter if you haven't done it already

I prefer to have the akra map on before I map as it means there's a more suitable map to fall back on should the pc111 fail or if you need to unplug it to eliminate it as a cause of any issues, but that's just preference, it's not a necessity

My pc111 is still sitting in the cupboard though as dynojet don't have a map for an akra mapped ecu and I don't have the cash for dyno right now so you could say I'm doubly interested in you mapping with akra map as then you might be kind enough to send me a copy :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well, it's already booked in so once it's done, you'd be welcome to a copy.

Raven, I agree with what you're saying and am aware of what the PCIII does, I just wondered from experience, if people had tried anything from the various combinations. Knowing that the Akra map is for generic RC8s and not specifically for my bike, then I understand that it will improve the fuelling even more to have it custom mapped.. What I don't know is if the changes you can make on the PCIII allow for a wide enough shift from the regular map to accommodate the new requirements of the Akra.. I reckon it would, but like TJ says, I don't think it's a bad thing to get the correct base map on. So, I'm getting the Akra map installed tomorrow and then dyno and remapping of the PCIII to be done in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes plenty scope to fuel for akra using pc111 on non akra / base ecu map. had mine on the dyno on monday using base map + akra evo 4 system , had same concerns that may not be able to get it right without akra map on ecu but worked out sound.
interestingly , we tried 3rd gear run before & after derstriction mod with no difference shown on power . did i do it correctly ? - left green wire only connected from the 3 wires on connector above clutch slave. Would 15 min reset affect ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
oh , forgot to say , didnt put on akra base map as my "local" dealer (110 miles away) wanted £100 just to switch maps , even though i bought the bike from them within the past couple of months !!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
oh , forgot to say , didnt put on akra base map as my "local" dealer (110 miles away) wanted £100 just to switch maps , even though i bought the bike from them within the past couple of months !!!
Cheeky bastards. It's a 10 minute job, max.. Don't suppose that endeared them to you very much.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
+1 That is taking the piss!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
akro mapping stuff

Bloody hell, I didn't realise I was opening up such a can of worms!
However thanks FT found a nice chap KTM dealer kind of a block said that he would plug it in and tell me. Plus he said that he would not charge me for it. I do lick this KTM world. I defoe would not get this service from my local Honda dealers ( who I have spent thousands over the years, and pissed me off TWATS no more I say . I have gone ORANGE!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts