KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I admit I always said the Tech 7's must be shite with that stupid buckle wrong way round over the instep. But I changed my mind today when I put them on in the local MX store. They are comfy like grand ma's plushy bedroom slippers. Compared to my SG12's they are soft as a sponge and I doubt they have good protection. But the most important question for me is are they water proof? With the Gaernes I can ride even when the water reaches an inch above my ankles and my feet stay bone dry.

In this (for me not relevant) test they get 10 points for safety but so do the Sidi's and they are made of carton compared to the SG12's.... (LINK REMOVED, sorry it was in German)

Anyone here who had or has the Tech 7's and can share experiences?

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
No they are not waterproof, far from it

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I wasn't a A star fan either.... I was wearing sidi srs2 ...there was far too uncomfortable... so I wore my trials boots for about 2 years ...less protection but like slippers ....then I wore the tech 7 enduro at off Road Orange last March... I got a pair the same week I got home ...by fare the comfiest boot I've worn and I've had a lot ....I wear sealskin socks so I haven't really noticed about them letting water in .... I won't were anything else now

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't expect any enduro or mx boot to be waterproof. Just buy some ex army goretex socks and then it doesn't matter.

I had a pair of Tech 3s before my current SG12s and they were well made and lasted for ages. I sold them to a mate and he still wears them every week. Not as bulky as the SG12s but didn't feel as protective. Not tried the Tech 7s.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Leak like a sieve but I wouldn't buy anything else. Very comfy and have had a number of times where I'm very surprised I didn't break my ankle so the protection seems good enough.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the Tech 7 is out then. Talked to a riding buddy a minute ago via Whatsapp and he said his Tech7's let water in when just riding in rain. I asked him why he bought them again and he said because they are so comfy. Though I understand that I prefer boots that are at least water resistant like my Gaerne SG12's.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leak like a sieve but I wouldn't buy anything else. Very comfy and have had a number of times where I'm very surprised I didn't break my ankle so the protection seems good enough.
You use exactly the same words as my mate. LOL... Ta Al.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I use tech 7s. Same as above but I drill small 6mm holes in the bottom of them to let water out. I can accept being wet but squelching about isn’t nice. I’m not aware that they let water in faster but they certainly drain well and dry quicker.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
drill big 6mm holes and they will drain faster

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Sealskinz socks or ex-army goretex... my mate runs them, loves them... I run the Tech 10’s, almost bought the Tech 8 but same style as my last boots, so fancied a change. 70km in them with a broken ankle a good advert for me.

protection does not extend to quad strikes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
I think any boot will leak, the answer is knee length sealskinz. Probably the best bit of riding kit I've ever bought.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't mind tech7 for MX but not for enduro. too heavy and let water in too easily. The foam section around achilles area once worn becomes a big wet sponge. My Sidi's are much better sealed and lighter. Was out in the pissing rain yeserday and riidng some streams which at times was coming over front fender & feet were still reasonably dry.
Sealskinz are worth the money too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got Fox 180 boots for comfort after finding the SG12 too stiff/lacking feel. So far they haven’t let water in. Jet washed them a few times while wearing them and some wet rides but no standing in rivers.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My Tech 7's only need to see water and my feet get wet, comfy though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ive had a couple of Tech 7s but last year went to Sidi . Out of the box 7's are like a comfy pair of slippers,Sidis are the opposite. But now a year in I've got drier feet and love the Sidis .I should have gone to them ages ago but was put off by having to break them in. Next pair will be sidi . In my opinion there a better boot.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Come on, they feel like feathers compaired to my Gaerne SG 12....

Not tried SG12's. Mine always felt so heavy as they were soaked through and full of water. Prob doesn't help i have big calves so even at full stretch they would barely close around my keen braces.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally bought them after I had seen this video and what the yank said between 4:30 and 5minutes. I bought those with the standard sole, not the "Enduro" sole.

Because of what he said between 5:30 and 6:16 and what all of you who have or had this boots confirmed I bought Seal Skinz which were reduced to 28 quid at a German alpine sports shop. I bought those which are for all year use. not the coolest ones and not the warmest ones, they say I can use them in summer as well as in winter (but I dont ride in winter anyway).

I was in the shop today with my knee braces and they did fit well into the boots. The saleslady made an offer that I could not resist. :) You see below, that I have calves like a skinny Russian ballerina LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts