KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Does anyone know exactly where the ambient air temp sensor is that the dash gets it's reading from? My 09 RC8R is not showing anything on that reading. Have no idea if it only recently stopped or if it was never there! Only had 3 rides on it, so still quite new to me.

Does the sensor have any impact on fuelling? the bike has a PC5 fitted so not sure if that would have made a difference to fuelling etc..

I cant find it in the workshop PDF I have and get mixed search results between it being inside the front fairing, under the headlight area or it's under the airbox.

ta

·
Registered
KTM RC8
270 Posts
The temp reading on the dash uses a separate sensor, so no impact on ECU/EFI.

Mine was doing the same, the wire to the temperature thermocouple had broken, soldered it together and the temperature came back on the dash. As it's all stuffed behind the headlight/under the instrument panel, it's easy for wires to get pinched.

First, cycle through the display modes, as the ambient temp is not shown on all of them, and check in the menu too, as you can disable it from being shown IIRC.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Mine was doing the same, the wire to the temperature thermocouple had broken, soldered it together and the temperature came back on the dash. As it's all stuffed behind the headlight/under the instrument panel, it's easy for wires to get pinched.

First, cycle through the display modes, as the ambient temp is not shown on all of them, and check in the menu too, as you can disable it from being shown IIRC.
Thank you sir, I will check it out :) I am planning on lifting the tank soon to replace the fuel filters so will just do a bit more investigation work. As the bike is new to me, I like to pull things apart and replace bits. Seem to be finding a few missing screws here and there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Any chance this is where the sensor should be?

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New sensor fitted and now have ambient temp reading on the dash. Annoyingly the speed sensor is now having a laugh, jumping about all over the place. Its only done that since I pulled the headlight and fairing so time to pull it apart again and make sure I havent trapped a cable before I order a new one. At £81 delivered, that one is expensive!

·
Registered
KTM RC8
270 Posts
Speed sensor is a front wheel Hall effect sensor, against the (magnetic IIRC) disc bolts.

If the sensor is loose or misaligned, debris is stuck to it, or a bolt is missing, then it might go a bit weird. But normally connectors and wires are the issue as Hall effect sensors are incredibly reliable under normal operating conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts