1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
as stupid as the BP disaster by US companies.
Er... BP is responsible for the BP disaster... (might be US employees of BP involved... but its still BP that is responsible)

Its funny how the british press in general has been a bit quiet on the issue of BP's responsibility here...
If it were a US company, well... .then it would be open-season :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
yes BP is admitting liability, they sub contracted the U scompanies to do the work...no one is denying that I think. But it is just that, a legal liability. It was the Haliburton peice that failed, and a Transocean doing the actual work.

and actually I don't see any mention on of US companies in the British Media at all

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
yes BP is admitting liability, they sub contracted the U scompanies to do the work...no one is denying that I think. But it is just that, a legal liability. It was the Haliburton peice that failed, and a Transocean doing the actual work.

and actually I don't see any mention on of US companies in the British Media at all
Yes they are legally liable - but thats not a technicality. It reflects the reality of the responsibilities.

On the rig, the oil company calls the shots. They own the schedule, the procedures, and sign-off that each step is completed satisfactorily. They have the final say.

As it turns out, it was BP's decision to take the risky move of displacing the drilling fluid (mud) before the well had been completely capped & those caps tested conclusively to be good (they can fail).
The reports so far indicate that there was indeed a discussion - even argument - about this move, but BP overrode the normal practice/procedure in order to save time (it can take a day just to displace the drilling fluid at some 3/4 million dollars per day). Now, theoretically, the contractors can halt the operation if they feel strongly enough that something is unsafe. But, it would appear they did not.
The investigation will have to be completed before all the facts are known - but at this stage it appears to be pretty conclusive that BP are not only legally responsible for the explosion, the deaths of 11 men and the subsequent ecological disaster, but also materially responsible.

UK media seems strangely detached from this whole issue... a bit of British pride perhaps?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Er... BP is responsible for the BP disaster... (might be US employees of BP involved... but its still BP that is responsible)

Its funny how the british press in general has been a bit quiet on the issue of BP's responsibility here...
If it were a US company, well... .then it would be open-season :)
Well i Thought AMOCO merged with BP years ago, and obviously that was Wholly an American company..:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts