KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just noticed that there is a reverse shift kit available, but on inspection of the rc8's in the showroom, it looked to me as though it was swichable anyway.. ive read through the threads, people mention it, but i cant find note of actual fitment..

it looked to me like the gear shift lever could be moved to the other side of the gear shift drive, as there was a hole there..

am i way off, because im confused :confused:

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I would stay well away mate. The whole point of reverse shifting is cause because the gearbox gets fitted upside down to make it more compact. I guess under accerlation its easier to change down than up. Unless your used to riding a moto gp bike its not worth it. One little mistake and you could end up shattering the gearbox and being in a hosptial bed. If you like to live on th wild side ya need this.;)

http://www.bikersjersey.com/product/productinfo.aspx?id=1481

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have used reverse shift for a number of years, so i kinda need to change it! thats why i started a new thread, cause if im wrong, id best get ordering one ASAP, because sods law fowlers wont have one in stock!

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I think you need that bracket tho. It should say in the owners manual probably. I dont know of anyone else doing it. They wouldnt make that part if you didnt need it tho.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i looked at photos from 2008, and the gearbox drive looked different to me, i wondered if it had changed during the gearbox recall... hmm, ill have to wait and see when i pic it up i guess!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The whole point of reverse shifting is cause because the gearbox gets fitted upside down to make it more compact...http://www.bikersjersey.com/product/productinfo.aspx?id=1481
Whaaaaat ?????????????

Reverse or "race" shift pattern has the benefit that on track when leaned ower you don't have room to get your boot under the gearlever to pul it up to shift up. Pushing it down with boot on top is better option.
Riding on streets it's pointles to change.
Even on track you gotta be pretty damn fast & scraping toe sliders to need this...

Doing this by just changeing the fixing point from it's original mounting to the hole on the upper part may be possible depending on the gear link lenght (adjustable)
KTM part for this means you dont need as long shift link so you can keep the adjustability.

Try it.

It only takes you a minute and is a simple job.
If it doesn't work buy the part needed.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
What about if your coming out of a fast corner into a hairpin? You've still gotta get your boot under. Pointless imo.;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Shifting down is done on the brakes before the corner.
Even when trailbraking deep into the corner - don't know anyone changeing down when fully leaned ower. = boot clearanse issue.
When roling the throtle trough the corner you may need to shift up while carrying lot of lean.
Not so much a issue with downshifting.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Ok, i see your point. Unless your rossi, i cant see it makin much difference. Or like Frenchy thats what your used to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Frenchy, i've had the "reverse shift bracket" fitted to my 8 for ages, had reverse shift on my two previous bikes too and I would'nt ever change back to the conventional way of shifting.
The bracket takes no time at all to fit and IMHO makes the up-shift even easier on the 8 and I hardly ever have false neutrals anymore.:burnout:
I got mine from Tri-Counties in Bracknell, they had it in stock as its only a matchbox size box so a big place like Fowlers should have it in stock too... only cost about 10 quid too (i think) :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone please look at this and discuss!!!

Does anyone else see the difference in gearbox drive!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all the bikes including the 2008 ones are like the upper gearbox drive, which looks able to be changed to reverse shift..

·
Registered
109 Posts
the whole gearshift arrangement looks different to me.... they could be pre-production models and therefore have some differences to the production models...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if that were the case, that would make the reverse shift kit redundant no?

all of the bikes i have seen are like the top photo

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Don't know, but it looks like the pillion pegs are fitted for the rider in the first pic

Revised, looked at it again, should av gone to spec savers :wanker:

·
Registered
109 Posts
:DTry it then.... or buy the bracket... but I think the shift rod doesnt extend to those holes on the lower part of the arm which is why they bought out the bracket

1 - 20 of 26 Posts