KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some blanking plates, but don't want to remove the valve and all the hosing (I can't really be bothered with all the dismantling).

What I want to know is, can I just fit the plates and then fold back the hoses and kind of close them off so they're out of sight? Would there be any reason that this is a bad idea? I can't see it being different to jamming the tubes with ball bearings as far as the air flow is concerned, but if anyone's got any more knowledge or any comments, please feel free to wade in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bonehead,
That's all I did & I haven't had a problem, it's probably worth securing them properly though.
There's also some gasket/flap thingie covers that go where the SAS covers go, I initially removed them before I put on the plates then for had a change of heart whilst putting the fairings back on. In the end I left them in place & put the covers over the top as I thought it would give a better seal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, bonehead you can do that. I put bolts in mine to plug them but there is no magic "right way" to plug them--you can do it whatever way works for you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gazwire,

Bit confused by what you've said..

At the end of the hoses at each side of the engine is the connecting plate/angle thing that joins the hose to the engine. When you unscrew this from the engine, are you saying there's something else you need to remove before fitting the blanking plates? What I then intended to do was to pull these metal joining plate angle things out of the hoses, fold the hoses back on themselves and just cable tie them off against the frame or somewhere similarly secure. Is there something I'm missing? Gasket??

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, would it matter if the hoses weren't plugged, or weren't a perfect seal? Would they suck any air back into the airbox???

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Why do you want to blank off the SAS if you dont want to remove all the crap associated with it?

The SAS air comes from the clean side of the air filter - so if you dont seal it off properly, you will get dirty air sucked into the motor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There's a little gasket flap jobbie (sorry for blinding you with techno speak) that nestles in the aperture when you take the hoses off.
I initially removed them thinking that they're no longer needed so get rid of them, then I thought to myself that they may improve the seal of the SAS plates so I undid it all and stuck them back in.
I'm probably just making it sound important, I don't think it's anything to worry about, you'll see what I mean when you do it. I also plugged the end of the hoses with marker pen lids then tie wrapped them to the frame inside the fairing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, thanks all.. I got some nice plates with Red bulls engraved... Will post pics at some stage.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
put the plates under the "plate/angle" thingy that you mention and leave everything in its place.
Or put a 16mm ball bearing into each hose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts