KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Administrator
8,306 Posts
I had a good look yesterday at Jim Aim's. Wasn't overly excited by the looks, exhaust and tail is gash. Al Aim said to me that everyone who test rode it last Friday on there model launch event absolutely loved it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an Akky being thrown in as part of the deal and a discounted seat cowl offer to tidy up the back end. They are not available until June apparently (along with the exhaust which might be a wait too). Not sure I like the Akky any more than the oem exhaust but might sell it if a nicer de-cat can or system comes along. Tail tidy is a must for any bike and apparently Evotech are imminent.

My dealer said all but one of the 790 test rides they have sorted has ended up with a sale and all reports back were positive.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Tested one in the week. Ignored it's looks and just rode it. Wanted to hate it, but it was such good fun, light, nimble, accurate, enough power really for the roads. I did only go on unclassified and B roads though. Which is where I'd want to use it. Seat is hard and uncomfortable and too short for those tucking down moments. Your arse perches on the back of it. Maybe if you're a short arse that won't be an issue.
Quick shifter is perfect up and down. Hooligan inducing.
Don't like TFT screens, too busy and not easy to read the little info bits.
Coming from a 1290. Very unintimidating power, just bbrrraaarrp, and chuck it in to the corners. Was an absolute hoot. Good sound even with standard can. Brap brap.
Front end felt mega, bike just goes where you want.
A superb effort, shame the style is too Japanese. Paint it red and it could be a Honda, blue and it's a Yamaha.

Back on the 1290 for 10 seconds, BBBRRRRAAAARRRRPPP forgot all about the 790.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stayed away from the 1290 test ride for maybe exactly that IC. I do wonder if a 1290 is £5800 better though??

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
The 790 is enough for the roads, but is that enough? Everyone should try an SDR1290 ESPECIALLY with full akra system and Sport mode. You can't put a price on happiness.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I stayed away from the 1290 test ride for maybe exactly that IC. I do wonder if a 1290 is £5800 better though??
That’s the same with lots of things though.
80k car better than a 60k? Both do the exact same thing, A to B.
Eye Fillet or kidneys? Both fill you up.
$40 hooker or $500? You get my point. It’s all about the looks and ride.
If you’ve got the spare coin, it’s definitely worth the extra.
Otherwise we would all drive Corolla’s.

·
Registered
14,777 Posts
The 790 is enough for the roads, but is that enough? Everyone should try an SDR1290 ESPECIALLY with full akra system and Sport mode. You can't put a price on happiness.
It gets even better with Motohooligan/Rottweiler and PCV madness. The low to mid range improvements are just ridiculously good. When I got back on the 1290 I felt very lucky indeed and made me appreciate it even more

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyway - back to the sublime 790. I’ll call Austin and Pipewerx this week to discuss exhaust.

Chatting with Wazza I think if you could decat into two and have a pair of Panigale WSB style shorty exhausts mounted on the pillion peg bolts either side that would look awesome. Tail tidy and single seat cowl = wank fodder

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I can't get my head around a QS on any bike, shuttimg off the throttle and not clutching just goes against what my head is telling me all the time I'm riding.
Agree totally.... but it worked well, i used it about 4-5 runs through the box, after that, i still used the clutch... Although i was feeling it on the foot afterwards as it's a bit stiffer to shift than the 690.

·
Registered
14,777 Posts
I had one on my Husaberg 570, and on the Aprilia V4 Tuono, never used it on either of them, slipper clutch is enough for me on a bike, just to bang it down the box coming into corner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts