KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,some of you may know,i took purchase of a 950 smr yesterday,i,m just waiting for a little sunshine to give it a blast.does anyone use their beasty all year round?i also have a bmw r1100gs which if found the ktm does,nt hold up to winter abuse i,ll be keepin.anyone

·
Registered
94 Posts
Used my 950 all winter (except when snow was on the roads....). Had fuel problems..Miss firing etc....due to carb icing. Was better if I used the top grade fuel..98 ron etc...Otherwise no problems at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
cheers iceman,what about paintwork,wheels etc any corrosion?
I have used mine every day over 2 winters (including when snow & ice was on the ground :eek:). After this last winter, the clutch cover housing had started to bubble up (don't they all?), but was kindly replaced by Sideways under warranty.
No other corrosion except for the rear brake hose connection (the golden coloured bit - gone a bit dark).
I have modified my rear hugger slightly to help keep the sh*t of the suspension - see here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No corrosion as yet..Just keep it all clean after riding....Have got an extended rear hugger and managed to fit a `fenda extenda` meant for the Superduke.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
No corrosion as yet..Just keep it all clean after riding....Have got an extended rear hugger and managed to fit a `fenda extenda` meant for the Superduke.
Likewise, Superduke fenda extenda, plus an extended hugger,
and always set aside an hour for washing the bike off on
your return.

Had an XR600 once that I got slightly salty, and left for a week,
came back to find the alloy rims screwed beyond recovery!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
hi bart. i rode mine in winter this year.

i used AC50 and gave it a good coating after each wash. no major probs for me, my clutch cover has bubbled but think thats a common fault. i got a full hugger for the rear and a superduke FM to stop my visor getting covered in the water getting thrown forward off the front wheel;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I did 18,000 miles in two years, I ride all through the year, I use AC50 ....the two bolts that hold the hugger rusted...thats about it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers lads some encouraging replies,looks like i,m off to grab a couple of tins of acf50 tommorow.i,ve only rode the ktm once since fri and i,m already itching to get me leg over it again so leaving it in the garage between nov-apr is a no go.my bikes are bought to be ridden,not polished but been newish i,ll try and keep on top of it.i have a pair of tri oval carbon cans that came off a gixxer thou.i,m gonna fabricate a couple of adapter plates to see how they look.so watch this space

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you ride all year round on 950SM You will need some Vaseline as well as the AC50...........................For your chapped lips..................................from all the silly grinning you will be doing...truely a great bike even in crap weather

·
Registered
121 Posts
Best kit is Quicksilver corrosion protection for outboard motors; waxy coating, bike looks shite all winter as the crud builds up but it works. Use WD40 to remove. Spray can application.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My head race bearings had to be replaced after two years daily commute thru winter in London.

Bottom one was rusted badly.

Kris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts