KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, finally taken the plunge & got myself a 200 exc.
Usual story been riding roads/tracks for years but never got round to off-road side, Mrs J just thinks its another symptom of mid life crisis :rolleyes:

Could do with some advice on where to start, Ive no off-road experience at all. Was thinking of maybe getting used to the bike on the road for while, then going to a training day of some sort (any recommendations in or around Yorkshire).

Also, what is the minimum amount of protection gear that most peeps would wear.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
TRF is always a good starting place if you have no one to ride with.

Take your time get used to the bike and enjoy.

Protection is personal preference, but I wear knee, armour suit, neck gaurd, helmet, boots. If I had to say a minimum - helmet, boots, knees and elbows. But as a beginner you will gain confidence from protection.

Welcome to the forum and all things orange :)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hi all, finally taken the plunge & got myself a 200 exc.
Usual story been riding roads/tracks for years but never got round to off-road side, Mrs J just thinks its another symptom of mid life crisis :rolleyes:

Could do with some advice on where to start, Ive no off-road experience at all. Was thinking of maybe getting used to the bike on the road for while, then going to a training day of some sort (any recommendations in or around Yorkshire).

Also, what is the minimum amount of protection gear that most peeps would wear.

Thanks for any help.

What part of yorkshire ? There are pleanty of people on here from that neck of the woods get yourself over to the white horse enduro on sunday see NEEC - NORTH OF ENGLAND ENDURO CHAMPIONSHIP

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
welcome to the forum! nice choice of bike btw! I go for less protection and steadier riding myself, I know someone will cry like a woman for me saying so but I always think its better not to fall off wearing just a lid and boots than fall off and test all your body armour!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have fun beginning, if your trail riding dont get too fussed over protective kit I wear tracky bottoms knee pads and waterproof trs, boots and helmet. Fallen off a lot and never real felt the need for dressing like Travis Pastrana but your not going much above 30 ish mph .. most of the time... if that.. mountain bikers go downhill quicker wearing far less!! Its all down to what you feel happy to wear

·
Registered
791 Posts
Get the best protection you can afford, Body amour in my opion is a must , particulary `knee` protection. Experience tell me that it damn hurts and takes a long time to repair, particulary when you get older.
I have knackered wrists due to accidents and also wear wrist restraints, some people dont like this because of arm pump. If you get armour etc , be prepared to check it and repalce it when it gets worn etc. It al makes sense and you will your riding with the confidence that you are taking precautions if and when you fall off.

Good Luck

·
Registered
827 Posts
well all can say is more is better....whatch this you tube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjT7XDopv7k ).....its me on my 3rd ever time off road in a weekend trip in salisbury this year.....i cracked a rib and really winded my self.......i had good 661 full body armour on......better safe than sorry.....yes knee guards too if enduro riding as there are plenty to hit your knees as well as the ground.....have fun too.....ta matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, some good info there. I would like to try to keep myself reasonably intact as things do
seem to take longer to heal these days :)
So of to ebay for some riding gear searching.

·
Registered
561 Posts
A decent pair of boots, the one thing i have always noticed working when 1 leg is stuck under the bike !
And obviously helmet, armour etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WElcome matey,

I'm only into my third monnth of lanes etc and loving it!

I goota say that armour gives me confidence, i come from a downhilling background and know that body armour spreads the load of impact, and since riding my motorbike i've shouldered a few trees with no ill affect. good boots and knee/shin pads are a must and googles, my mate doesn't like wearing his goggles and always ends the day with a bloodshot eye, and had to go home early a couple of times because he got roosted in the eye, he should try blinking!!!

Have fun mate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts