KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the road registering of the new 450 today and what a ball ache. Went to the DVLA office with all documents V55, Insurance, Authenticity Certificate and Proof of address. Waited almost an hour before getting told that the V55 I had is an old one. So they gave me a new one that looks exactly like the previous one. Filled it in and after another long wait I was promptly informed that they can't help me till I have MSVA test done. Bugger. Drove back home, phoned VOSA to make an appointment........ and guess what. Enduro bikes is exempt from MSVA Test. Filled in all the documents again including a VAT form and rode up to the DVLA offices. An hour later and having to explain a lot they took £105 of me and told me to wait for mr postman as he will deliver my new tax disk and certificate for the number plate in 45days:eek:

I do have some questions:

I followed the how to register your bike thread and made sure all was in order but they kept some documents i would like to have. (Insurance, Letter of authenticity)

There was absolutely no mention of a inspection visit?? (Seat height and ground clearance) I did ask the fellow what happens next and he answered that I just have to wait for the tax disk and some sort of certificate to produce to the numberplate company. The V5 will arrive after that.

So when will the bike be legally on the road?

·
Registered
535 Posts
If its anything like a car.....:burnout:

Took all the docs in to DVLA offices in July to register my Land Rover after I'd exported it to Africa. Docs were returned a few days later, and the tax disc and letter for reg plate followed on about a week later:)

Think having all the checks done at the office means it just a rubber desk johnnie needed to fire out the docs from Swansea Centrali:rolleyes: boyo;)

PS - no number plate, no road use, so thats what you need most

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
45 days!!!!! hahahahaaha! what shite! when I registered my klx300 it took about 20 mins, all the docs they want and (more importantly) the money they want and go out and get a plate made. too easy! If they want 45 days I would make sure the tax disc starts when you start and not before! 45 days.... the must be taking the piss...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
if you get the tax disc the number plate will be on there ?

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
The document is to allow you to get a plate made up, the V5 will take longer to come from Swansea than the tax disc comes from the local office

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
They should have issued you a reg number there and then ,as for the documents they should have photocopied them and gave you the originals back .I had the reg number and tax disc when i registered a SX model ,it took a few days for the documents to come through and i could'nt use the bike until then .

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
ive always downloaded and filled out the form; taken all the paperwork inc cover note, mot cert of newness etc, to the dvla without the bike and then booked the inspection while i'm in there for the following week....i then go back the following week for the inspection, and they give you the tax disc with your new reg No on it on the day and log book follows about a week later

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does sound like everyone has a different experience with these DVLA lot. I was informed today that they are not to keen on the inspections in the London area. Hope so as I need an extra inch:eek: on the ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I did all of this with my exc200 in june, I got a reg number the same day by going back to the dvla office where they inspected the bike the same morning. 45 days is a load of shite, they are pulling you pud.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just done mine, was only there for half an hour :)
Got an inspection on monday, couldn't make tomorrow.

What exactly do they inspect apart from chassis number, seat height and ground clearance, I ask because I don't have a horn fitted to the bike!

Ben

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
a lot say it gets dun same day lol ive registered bikes for many years never had it dun same day, some the new docs arrive in a week, sum a letter arrives saying they want to inspect it in a week ha, luck of the draw, as for inspections the guys ive seen just checked the numbers matched, a few mesure seat height but very rare in my experience, nowt about a horn etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received a call from the DVLA yesterday asking for the MSVA certificate again... Bollocks. I explained for the 4th time that an enduro bike don't need a MSVA test. Got told they will look into it..................... I guess they looked into it because I received my tax disc today and numberplate permission. Oh Happy Days.:burnout:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That'll be 4 - 5 days then not 45, better get those ears syringed pal.
Deffo 45days. I phoned DVLA yesterday and the computer lady said not to bother them as it can take between 4- 6 weeks for documentation to arrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts