KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone been or no anyone whos been a donor, specifically a bone marrow doner? drop me a message if you have, cheers

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
My dads friend was a bone marrow donor to his son (I think it was Dad and son?). What do you need to know Tatts? My old man is a Doctor, I can get info from him if you like. C

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dads friend was a bone marrow donor to his son (I think it was Dad and son?). What do you need to know Tatts? My old man is a Doctor, I can get info from him if you like. C
just wanted a real persons info on the op, recovery times, ongoin issues etc as theres a lot of conflictiong info on the tinterweb, if you could that would be great.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive read up but been on a few forums and people have said tales of this and that so wanted to get a view from real people not the nhs or the media as you may no not everything they say is true lol.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not bone marrow but stem cells, my wife was the receiver from her sister 5 years now:), could have gone the bone marrow route but stem cells were the better option.

If it's being a doner for family it's a no brainer but just to be on the regester to donate, not too sure I'de be up for that after looking into it a few years ago, I decided to be a blood doner insted;)

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not bone marrow but stem cells, my wife was the receiver from her sister 5 years now:), could have gone the bone marrow route but stem cells were the better option.

If it's being a doner for family it's a no brainer but just to be on the regester to donate, not too sure I'de be up for that after looking into it a few years ago, I decided to be a blood doner insted;)
i already donate blood and some off my time as it is, was just intrested to see whats involved with the marrow. had a case at work where marrow could of possibly helped and made me think:frown:

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
i already donate blood and some off my time as it is, was just intrested to see whats involved with the marrow. had a case at work where marrow could of possibly helped and made me think:frown:
Just spoke to my old man and he said that the procedure itself is very straight forward, they take a small amount of marrow from the crest shaped part of your hip through a large diameter needle (he did tell me the correct name but can't remember the exact name). It is either taken from you under local or general anesthetic. The procedure is more uncomfortable than painful as a fair bit of pressure has to be put on the needle to get through the outer surface into the marrow itself. The area around where the sample has been taken can feel bruised for a week or so after but this is very normal.

Once the sample has been taken, the receiver is irradiated so that there is as little risk as possible of rejection. The marrow then multiplies, grows and produces the red cells needed.

He also said that the odds of being a match are 1:1000,000 and that being a match is and can be literally the difference between life and death. It's really made me think that donation of blood and marrow is a pretty amazing thing to do.

Hope this helps Tatts. C

·
Registered
352 Posts
My mate had leaukemia when he was younger and said bone marrow transplantation was the most painful experience of his life by a significant factor. I wouldnt even think about it unless it was a very close family member tbh.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
bone marrow doner = ver very painfull exertion
My old man did suggest that a general anesthetic would be his choice if he had to do it, and that the procedure can be more or less painful depending on the surgeons capability and the individual donating.

My mate had leaukemia when he was younger and said bone marrow transplantation was the most painful experience of his life by a significant factor. I wouldnt even think about it unless it was a very close family member tbh.
I think if I had the chance to save a complete strangers life the pain would be a small price to pay. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and a stranger decided he didn't want to save you.

I was going to give it to my sis, sadly i never got the chance :frown:
Sorry to hear mate :frown:

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the above few posts thats what i heard its very very painfull, just wanted hounest opinions etc. i was gona pm you karl but didnt wana out of courtesy mate. im gona register anyhows as even if i gota go through a lot of pain if it means someone stays alive then thats an easy choice for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts