KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the beach race this year, watched a few years but first time riding.

Any genreal tips, things I should watch out for etc?
Anyone doing it this year?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Remember that your bike prep is only good if your prep is too! You need to make sure you eat well through the week, and take on lots of fluid all week before. Have a camelback during the race.

On the bike prep, you'd be amazed how the chain and sprox get eaten up, so start with new front and back, and have spares to hand. An o ring chain can be left in a bath of oil (used engine) for a few weeks before, but then wipe and leave dry for the event.. chain lube with sand stuck to it is a great grinding paste ! Have a spare preoiled air filter (esp on small 2 strokes)....

Make sure that you can pull off the rad protectors, as they can get filled in.. Use pit time wisely, and unless you are sure that you can get through with the first rush, take your time on the first lap, you can't win it on lap 1, but you can lose the day !!

Brake pads and bearings, fit brand new, then pull them out after and throw them away !! Your spares are almost as important, you need lots of bits and bobs, spare coolant etc....

Finally, have a great time !!

·
Registered
193 Posts
tips.... do it on someone else's bike !!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
tips.... do it on someone else's bike !!
HAHAHAA! beat me to it!!!

prep is king!! make sure you have loads of air filters and get ready to strip your bike afterwards!! you will find sand everywhere (I mean everywhere!!) helped a friend before and after one year, right mess though to be fair was no worse than my bike after the Lossiemouth enduro I did one wet cold year......

·
Registered
110 Posts
sit well back on the straights and watch out for standing water coz at 90+ mph it tends to catch you out in a big way especially on the 3rd lap when your tired.fit a new clutch and try and find out the best gearing for your bike not too much top end but you dont want to be revving the shit out of it in the deep sand.wear waterproof warm gloves coz your hands get really cold , take spare goggles and a couple of mars bars for when your stuck!!just have fun and try not to eat too much sand.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Or buy the cr on here ride the fook out it
And rebuild it after as the sand will strip all the paint and shit off it

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I have never ridden at Weston but did go to watch one year - my advice - DON'T DO IT !!! They're all completely mad out there !

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have a pit crew to help carry crap you will need and a wheel barrow, plenty of water and super soaker kids toy water fight guns so they can wash your bike down a bit when you come in, unless of course you have something posher. And plenty of Wurth Dry wax lube

·
Registered
130 Posts
x2 last year the race only ran for half a lap and it still cost close to £700 when you take in accomodation,fuel,beer,entry,etc etc
You forgot clutch and medic costs after pushing that heavy 450 back!!!!

As for prep, get some electrical spray grease and pull apart all vital connections and lube them up to stop the water getting in.
Steel rear sprocket with a slack dry chain.
Tape seat to fuel tank to stop the sand.
Run a filter skin.
If its a 2 stroke be sure to re jet for sand, larger main, drop needle clip and run the mix with a bit more oil. Dont shut off at the end of the straight, pull the clutch in and keep clearing/revving it to keep the oil going through.

Have fun and give me a shout if you see me #140, remember try to keep it clear on the first lap, if you get stuck you get tired. As the saying goes.... To finish first, first you have to finish!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts