KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have HID's on both my Beemers, but with the SMT only having one H4 bulb I am led to believe that it is a bit more difficult

Has anybody fitted HID, if so does it work for both the low beam and high beam

Locally they want to replace the two fillament bulb with a single fillament bulb with a magnetic solonoid at its rear that repositions the bulb to facilitate low and high beam (low beam the bulb is max in and on high beam the bulb is repositioned slightly back and up) :hmh::hmh:

Anybody ????

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looked into briefly but a lot of reports seem to think that the H4 bulb is not good to convert to HID with alot of people reporting very poor beam patterns that are only equal or worse than the std bulb.I think that on the H4 kits there are moving parts to alter the beam pattern and these are prone to breaking especially as a lot are cheap conversions from China and the like. When I get round to it I shall just be upgrading the bulb.

·
Registered
89 Posts
have a look here - might help: http://www.hid50.com/

from memory, they say on the site somewhere that the H4 isn't ideal, but can be done. The site is run by a dude called Les Wassall who appears to be very highly thought of on the ukgser.com forum. Not cheap kit I think it's fair to say, but I've seen nothing but praise for the quality of kit and service.

My eyes are goosed so I can't be ar5ed to read thro it all again, but you can do that for yourself. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had my SMT upgraded to HID and have seen a massive difference ...went to my KTM dealer and they recommended a kit and fitted ...so far no probs and fantastic vision for night riding but also people see you coming during daylight hours much better .
Had riding lights fitted and was disappointed with the yellow type light and told dealer not happy as was looking for the HID bright triangle light to be easily seen ... he has recommended the HID 50 site as just mentioned and he is willing to upgrade me for free on labour and I have to pay the difference for the better quality light from HID 50 compared to the price paid for the Motech lights fitted at present

thought that was a fair deal
Let me know if you want to know the make fitted and will let you know tomorrow when I'm up that direction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
Yes is the short answer I fitted a HID4U conversion in 09 to my 690 SM, brilliant absoloutely no problems and the difference is literally night and day, if you need more details give me a shout.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had an 'old' HIDS4U kit that I fitted - no worries at all about beam pattern / spread / cut-off (it may have been some kind of 'special' bulb, but I can't find it on their web-site)

·
Ex 9fiddy sm'er
4,925 Posts
I have an HID4u one fitted but, having tinkered with it one day (if you leave it an optimate for any length of time the power isn't enough to power the ballast apparantly which I didn't know prior) it now doesn't work and I don't have the time to sort it out so it'll stay off till then...

As has been said, it makes dark like day and, up until I had a play with it worked lovely

1 - 8 of 8 Posts