KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether one would be worth having?

On paper it looks like a good bike, light with enough power and a 270 degree crank so should feel nice.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a guy with a YouTube channel that has one and loves it... Check out royal Jordanian channel
Yeh, I've seem some of his stuff and know that he likes them. His first one got nicked while he was out on it! He was gutted but replaced it with his current R version.

https://pbmagforum.co.uk/
Bloke over there has 50,000 on his I think
Cheers, I'll have a look later as it seems you can't view without joining.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting serious urges to add another bike to my stable so I'm saving my pennies.
I'd like a big Sumo style bike but the 990 SM/R would be too similar to my 990SD so I don't really see the point.
....also they look a bit lardy I think. :D

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
My Nuda was pulling 105hp at the wheel and about 175kg, really fun bike to ride. My mate Lee has the R version and said he could feel the noticeable power difference and the suspension on mine (S model) was better for the road. The Sachs/Ohlins on the R is a bit harsh

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just wondering whether one would be worth having?

On paper it looks like a good bike, light with enough power and a 270 degree crank so should feel nice.
IIRC owners were stranded without tech support by the KTM takeover of Husky, as it's a BMW engine but with Husqvarna electronics.

So buy very cheap, or not at all...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IIRC owners were stranded without tech support by the KTM takeover of Husky, as it's a BMW engine but with Husqvarna electronics.

So buy very cheap, or not at all...
Good info, thank you.
Im not so worried about that as long as there is good availability of parts...and therein lies the problem..
Just checked Fowlers and that model isn't listed.

A mate had a husky 450 and something went in the gearbox, his bike was garaged for about 6 months due to delays of getting parts and info from Italy, several times the gears supplied didn't fit due to bad machining.
That was on a husky bike back when husky still owned them.

What I also fear is the used value tanking soon due to the lack of dealer support, and they aren't a cheap bike either right now.
I dunno.. Will have to look into this a little more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want an utterly bonkers naked twin then you could consider one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133163639533

The factory did go bust, but has sine been recapitalised, there are UK service dealers, and there's an active and helpful owner's club.

I have ridden one, and it was a bit like a big two-stroke mx bike...just POWER delivered at the slightest touch of a throttle with a very short wheelbase to keep you on your toes.

I did consider buying one, but back then it seemed like a lot of money for a dangerous toy.

Looking at that picture of it now, it still makes me think...well, you could buy it. :)

MRC Forum- brought to you by www.morini-riders-club.com • View topic - Cosaro ZZ

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good info, thank you.
Im not so worried about that as long as there is good availability of parts...and therein lies the problem..
Just checked Fowlers and that model isn't listed.

A mate had a husky 450 and something went in the gearbox, his bike was garaged for about 6 months due to delays of getting parts and info from Italy, several times the gears supplied didn't fit due to bad machining.
That was on a husky bike back when husky still owned them.

What I also fear is the used value tanking soon due to the lack of dealer support, and they aren't a cheap bike either right now.
I dunno.. Will have to look into this a little more.
I had a lot of disappointments when I owned an Italian Husqvarna TE610E. On the spec sheet, it was brilliant. As an ownership experience, very poor. A shame, because it was a good bike ruined by poor attention to detail in both design and production. Put it this way...a GasGas I subsequently purchased was better in both respects, and that was put together in a small factory teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.
Think about it, the CCM 404 DS I had was better than the Husky in terms of design and production, and riding experience, and that really was put together using an assortment of parts from other factories in a shed in Bolton

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might have to try an 990SMR then, but will it much different to 990 SD?
Plus I don't really like it's styling.

I like the looks of Aprilla Dorsoduro 750 but have heard they are underwhelming, so maybe the 1200 but that looks a very big bike, more like a trimmed down 1190 adventure.
Only other choice is Ducati.... and I'd rather not.

Probably just sit on my hands for now...:frown:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Been looking at super motos recently , considered the dorsodoro and it’s really cheap new , 6995. But a bit heavy and a lot of tests said not that exciting . 990 smr is like rocking horse poo and fetched big money , Ducati 939 hyper mortard got my vote in the end Until I decided it was a non practical idea buying a big Sm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts