KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening lads
So I thinking about selling my 1190r I’ve had it for about 3 years now & done 1000 miles on it just not getting used ,
A biker mate of mine has just got rid of his gs & bought an 790 as he said it was just too big & heavy , he like me fancy’s doing some riding abroad (tet) I already green lane on my 350 so it’s got me thinking about an 790r so I go on & off road easier with out all the weight of a big bike .
So any of you boys switched too smaller bikes yet .
I rode his 790 s yesterday & it’s quite a nice bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Maybe read up on the issues they have before you part with £10+k

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Evening lads
So I thinking about selling my 1190r I’ve had it for about 3 years now & done 1000 miles on it just not getting used ,
A biker mate of mine has just got rid of his gs & bought an 790 as he said it was just too big & heavy , he like me fancy’s doing some riding abroad (tet) I already green lane on my 350 so it’s got me thinking about an 790r so I go on & off road easier with out all the weight of a big bike .

You could ride the TET on either of the two bikes you have now. Keep the 350 for anything off road and maybe a SDR too..

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't see the big 200+KG Adventure bikes as "Off Road" bikes for most mere mortals, I know some people do take them onto tough terrain, but then they struggle like buggery with them, drop them a lot and get knackered picking them up.

I have had a 1190 / 1090 in the past and now have a 1290 - all S Models as I use them as comfy tourers suitable for any road including fairly easy unpaved roads, clocking up @6k a year on mine almost entirely on foreign tours and long days out, they are perfect for that, and thumping down the quiet back lanes near me on a nice summers day.

I did the Great Xmas getaway a couple of weeks back, about 500 bikes riding around Salisbury plan and the nearby trails, apart from the well graded wide, straight gravel tracks I did not see a big KTM or GS all day, in the deeply rutted trails, wet slimy mud and deep puddles I had a great time on my FE350.

I would of found it noticeably harder on my old DRZ400S which is about 35kg heavier, and the 790R is another 30KG up on the DRZ, but I have little in the way of off-road skills, so I am sure a better rider would of got through it on OK on a 790R, but not so sure anyone other than Chris Birch would of made it through some sections on a 1x90R.

I would be looking at a 790R (or Tenere 700) for a mix of Road / mildly difficult Trails and all around use, maybe the 690R would be better than the 790 for lots of off road.

But if I wanted to ride a lot of difficult off road terrain I would very tempted to get a KTM / Husky 500 and kit it out for travel, it starts of 30KG lighter than the 690, so by the time you put on some soft bags and load it up it will still be no heavier than the 690 is without gear lighter, and the 790 will be back up to 1190 weight by the time you load it up with all your gear.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Evening lads

I suppose it depends on how off-road your going to go..I have a 950 adventure that I have ridden on some dry gravelly trails but don't have the talent to tackle anything more taxing...I have spent a fair amount of time on a mates 700 tenere and although it's lighter than the 950 and has lovely balance it's still a 200kg bike so it feels similar to the ktm..both are a world away from my 350 beta which I am happy to tackle most things on...these 700/790 bikes are marketed as the bikes that everyone can jump on and fly down snotty muddy lanes..but in reality the only people than can comfortably do this are the same ones that can do it on a 950/1090/1190

·
Registered
635 Posts
The 1190R would be right at home on any Nordic TET. I did over 500km of the Swedish TET in less than a day on my 1190S, which shows just how 'offroad' the TET generally is 'round these parts. And from what I've seen most of the TET outside of somewhere like the Balkans is the same. I'd be quite pissed off if I'd decided to take the 500 on the TET.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So it should be the TEB

Trans European Backlanes

I assumed a lot would be dirt tracks that could be tricky when wet, or fairly rocky sections, done some "unpaved roads" two up on my ZZR1400, and known people one up on adventure bikes being too scared to attempt them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
So it should be the TEB

Trans European Backlanes

I assumed a lot would be dirt tracks that could be tricky when wet, or fairly rocky sections, done some "unpaved roads" two up on my ZZR1400, and known people one up on adventure bikes being too scared to attempt them.
I think even 'lanes' is pushing it. It's mostly gravel, some dirt fire roads (but nothing a big bike can't sail over with the right tyres). Now and again you'll find a short stretch of something resembling single-track, but it's almost always a side-route off a gravel road where you come off the single track a few hundred yards further down the gravel road that you turned off to get on the single-track (so a bit pointless). The TET has to be careful about being totally legal (though I did get chased by one uppity old bugger who'd had enough of 'adventurers' blasting past his summer house), so it's pretty tame.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lads thanks for all your replies
I see all your points of view on this , all am thinking is at the mo the 1190 is just a road bike too which I’ve hardly used it , it being realistic I prefer to ride the lanes on my 350 when I can , yes the 1190 a great bike but I thinking it’s a bit of a beast too go laning on ? To be fair round here it’s rubbish they all be flatted or restricted. The other thing is I’ve got to stump up another 3.5k for anew 790r that’s with a trading at dealer

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
So he's offering you £7.5K for your bike?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Evening lads

I’ve gone to the 790 r from a 950 , the 790 is better off road with its gizmos and bit lighter than the 950 , I do green lanes and the tet in Europe both bikes are more than capable, my skill runs out before the bikes fail , I’d say the 790 is better and the tet is more than just gravel roads in France and Italy so you need a bit of skill

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
MH, is your 1190r a reg plate 16 or 17? If it's a 17 I may be interested it, and would up the offer you've had for trade in. By all means drop me a PM.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Did these come on a 17 plate? Thought they finished in 2016

1 - 20 of 22 Posts