KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, havent posted on here for some time now as i am orangeless at present!!

I have just bought a scooter with intent to start the knowledge of london (full green card not suburbs)

yet to start i would just like to hear some views and opinions of cabbies or knowledge boys, pros and cons etc.

Its appealing to me as i have no tosser to answer to and can work as and when i like, so far had mixed views from 'the bottoms fallen out of this game' to 'its like printing your own money' both from cabbies!!

just like to hear your views should any of you guys have any??!!!!!

Many thanks, Grant

·
Registered
177 Posts
I drive a hackney in Newcastle mate, the games fooked up here, you can scrape a livin if ya work all day and own ya own cab, but if ya renting like me ya on the bones of ya arse most of the time, some weeks i made less than minimum wage after i paid my £220 a week car rent and 60 - 80 quid a week in deisel, ya get the odd decent week but compared to 3 or 4 years ago am down a grand a month on average, if ya in london i suppose you can make a decent living, but here, saturdays are the only decent night to work, the rest of the week ya sometimes doing 50 quid or even half that some weeknights, am lookin for other work, but thers fuckall else i can get so am stuck, only good thing is the fanny up here, its awesome!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I couldn't be bothered with all the non-driving related hassle - from the incontinent drunks to heavy duty criminals - there's plenty of grief

·
Registered
109 Posts
I drive a hackney in Newcastle mate, the games fooked up here, you can scrape a livin if ya work all day and own ya own cab, but if ya renting like me ya on the bones of ya arse most of the time, some weeks i made less than minimum wage after i paid my £220 a week car rent and 60 - 80 quid a week in deisel, ya get the odd decent week but compared to 3 or 4 years ago am down a grand a month on average, if ya in london i suppose you can make a decent living, but here, saturdays are the only decent night to work, the rest of the week ya sometimes doing 50 quid or even half that some weeknights, am lookin for other work, but thers fuckall else i can get so am stuck, only good thing is the fanny up here, its awesome!
I'm east herts and have been for 3/4 years and can pretty much mirror that, pickings are better in london but i'm not sure if their good enough, i had a good school contract but i'm jacking it in in less than 2 weeks now, starting full time work on the 21st with a regular pay packet and paid sick/holiday, will just turn up, work and go home safe in the knowledge i wont have to bounce any bills to get by this month, no stress, no piss heads, no muggings and no taxman to deal with, 21st cant get here soon enough :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input guys gonna be based totally in london so cant really compare but thankyou anyway what about all the other big cheesecakes on here surely one must know a london cabby !

·
Registered
109 Posts
worked from 9pm till 4am last night in newcastles bigg market! 92 quid! What more can i say, am goin on the dole!
lol +1, well almost +1

00:00 to 01:30 last night, at which point i gave up.... £11 PMSL

The jobs fucked which ever way you look at it, london may be better but only a year ago friday night was £150 at a minimum, now it's more like £40 on a friday and has been for the past couple of months, so many new cabs/people out there that everyones piece of the pie has got smaller and smaller, when i started 3/4 years ago taking a grand a week was achievable if you wanted it, now you'll struggle to do half, dont forget insurance costs £2k pa and you'll go through diesel like it's water, i've been averaging £135 on diesel per week for the last 6 months or so, add the cost of a car into that and it's not as cheap or easy to make money as it seems ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
As moto said I'm a London cabbie. I've had my (green) badge about 3 1/2 years but have only been full time in the cab a year as I was waiting on a redundancy to be offered from my last job. From what I hear from guys who have been in the game a while, takings are down about a 1/4 and you do have to put in the hours to make your money, but coming from a £25k office job I find it fairly easy to keep up my standard of living. Like you the flexibility was what appealed to me as my misses is in a job she loves but has some crap shifts so I thought it would be a good alternative to office work and we could do more stuff together.

As for the "K", do not underestimate the amount of work you will have to put in. It's not particularly hard but the is allot of it and you may find it difficult making yourself get up on cold crappy Sunday morning to plod around the shite holes of London looking for some obscure Point (Point of Interest) while your mates are sleeping off the hangover from the night out you couldn't go on . Have you decided which runs you are going to use? I started off with Knowledge Point but changed over to Wizanne as their system seemed allot more methodical and up to date plus the school was easier for me to get to as it was in East London, just north of the Blackwall Tunnel.
I would say to anyone who it thinking about it to give it a go, but make sure you let your partner and mates know that you will be out of circulation for a while. Don't be daunted but the amount you have to learn, keep up to date with your call over, work hard and it will stick. HTH and be lucky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
did a small part of knowlwedje runs for dispatch riding job years ago . got fed up of firm sending me whwerver without a parcel coming back put in my notice , was literally begged by the firm to stay though. went back to my trade

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Pogie, ive just started, im using the wizann method which seems alot more easier to manage than most other schools, i have been out and done 8 runs so far but i can callover 24 of the first 80 runs just from memorising and map reading in my spare time. really does seem a long way off at the mo at im the type of person who when i want something i want it yesterday!!!! so i need to sort myself out!! been doing lots of web based research on knowledge sites and cabbie blogs etc and i know i have only just started but im getting confused when they talk about marking out points on the map etc and missing peices and turnarounds!!! is this something that i will eventualy grasp the further along i progress or do you think i need to have some tuition at wizann? im dertimined to do this and not gonna give up as i feel it is something i NEED to acheive rather than just a change of career!!! many thanks, Grant

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's early days for you at the moment; I would concentrate on doing the runs and getting fluent in calling them over.

Marking out points. - When I had finished all the runs and found most of the points of interest from the Wizanne books I then moved on to getting the daily e-mail of the questions being asked by the examiners, these are collected by the schools from people leaving the PCO after their Appearances. The daily sheets have the questions listed by the difficulty of appearance 56, 28, 21s etc and I would go through the sheet and pick out any points that I did not know and then pin them up on my wall map using pins and labels. This way I could maximise the use of my time by visiting one area at a time instead of to-ing and fro-ing accross the whole of London.

Missing pieces. - These are runs devised by the schools for linking up areas of London but are not listed in the Blue Book.

Turnarounds. - U turns are not allowed on the Knowledge so if the examiner asks you to leave a point that can only be left by heading north and you need to head south you have to know a way of turning around using side streets.

Do you need tuition? - I don’t' know, I never did but I had a call over partner (COP) from the start so we tested each other. If you are doing the K on your own it might be worth it so you can gauge how you are doing compared to others. Have a chat with Dean and the guys at Wizanne when you pick up your next book.

I found that once I had the K I didn't have to worry about redundancy anymore. It made a great second job as I could go out when it suited and it took the stress out of the changes going on at my old workplace and the job losses I knew that were on the cards.

HTH, and be lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts