KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Should be there by 4 or 5, will be on an overloaded yellow drz 400e with red and yellow waterproof (hopefully) bags piled on top.

·
Registered
829 Posts
We’ve landed Walking round now, fuck knows how we’ll find each other!

There’s a trf ride tomorrow at 10 am we’re in that, had I word with the guy and he might get a good ride for us , but more technical!!

If anyone interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just got home, great weekend, thought the course was good, better than I expected.
Did the course ok, fell off waiting to cross the second water ditch as it was on a bit of a slant by short legs kicked in, did the crossing then stopped on the hill on the other side over to the right and again stopped on a bad angle, had to get right foot on the ground so couldn’t use back brake, so grabbed the front brake and bike slid down the hill, third one over cooked a corner up hill back end slid out off again, nob ed!!!
Good fun!!!
Had no signal all weekend couldn’t even get on here!
Only smashed a mirror so not bad!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only stayed the one night (Friday). The trail was good but the queueing for everything else was no fun. Was ok though, nice to be away from everything for a night.

The mud on the trail on Saturday morning didn't look a lot of fun for the bigger bikes but then again mine was terrible on the road so swings and roundabouts ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I rode up via Chedder with a mate and it took longer than expected but was a good ride.
Bonus of getting in later on Friday is that we got to camp right up against the event.

abr1.jpg

The whole event was not what I expected to be honest, great to get away camping but I was hoping for organised road rides and not just queuing for bike tests, or food, or beer... Apparently the previous event was twice as big but with half the people attending.

First night we put tents up and hit Alcester for supplies (beer), and then saw a chippy so had donner meat on chips for dinner.
Got back, drank my beers and wondered around.
Next morning I saw stupid long queues everywhere (for test rides mainly) but even the coffee vans were slammed, so we got on the bikes and went out. Had breaky at a Wetherspoons then headed off into the Cotswolds. Went to check out Clarksons farm, which was busy as he was out there filming, we then rode a bit more and then picked up supplies and went back to site to shower, eat, drink and walk around. Bumped into a few people I know from Devon and some from Wales there. Sunday morning we got up, packed up and rode home, quickly... as there was threat of heavy rain.. luckily for us we missed it so it was a dry ride home.

I wouldn't have minded some test rides on their track but I couldn't be bothered with the standing in queues for hours, shame there wasn't a way of pre-arranging those. Food situation was much better the second night as I think some people went home and lots just went offsite instead.

If I were to do it again I'd plan a day route as a back up plan and also take campsite cooking gear, or maybe my camper and trailer a bike up there.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I agree about the queues, mental!, I was at the bus for an hour, Nate walked back to the trailer and came back with some cans, I had moved 2metres! , Saturday was much better, not as long queues for some reason!, I’m glad we took the bbq!!!

Cooked breakfast, dinner and tea, came back when we were hungry, no queues.

We had a ride out in Saturday when the course shut due to two men down with broken legs!, that course was sloppy in bits, and some bikes had never seen dirt before!,

I would probably have taken the 650 or 500 if I thought it would be that good!!!, first time out for me in the 990 so off three times, met A few lads from trf who were there, loads of ktm’s so may have seen you maybe not, there was a few 990 flying round the course, I couldn’t keep up!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had a ride out in Saturday when the course shut due to two men down with broken legs!, that course was sloppy in bits, and some bikes had never seen dirt before!,
Didn't know that, what time did that happen?

I got on first thing when it opened at 10 but it was very muddy and slippy. Saw a few big bikes go down and I was glad I was on the drz. The 1190 with trailattacks wouldn't have stood a chance in my hands.

The worst thing about the queues early in the evening on Friday was having to listen to that godawful band that was first on.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeh Friday band were bad!

I think it was about 3-4 in Saturday when they shut track to separate incident on either end of the track, ?, not heard any details!!

I saw some people with road tyres on there!, they should have been stopped !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought it was odd that there wasn't any guidance as to what to expect on the course. I went through one section that said 'mud tyres only' that was a puddle and a longish climb up some mud/grass but there were definitely other bit that were very slick for road tyres on the normal/easy sections.

I guess half the problem was that if you've seen their picture like this you might not be expecting what it was actually like.

Good fun though with the right tyres.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I thought it was odd that there wasn't any guidance as to what to expect on the course. I went through one section that said 'mud tyres only' that was a puddle and a longish climb up some mud/grass but there were definitely other bit that were very slick for road tyres on the normal/easy sections.

I guess half the problem was that if you've seen their picture like this you might not be expecting what it was actually like.

View attachment 40443

Good fun though with the right tyres.
Bang in that, I would have bought a smaller bike had I known, but there’s always next year!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
but there’s always next year!
Have you seen how much they want for next year?
Something tells me I'll be giving it a miss... the one just gone (the 2020 event) cost me £49 btw.

So... special offer for us previous ticket holders, 2022 ABR event - £89 with free adventure track access.
Then £99 for early bird tickets with no track access (£15 extra for trail track access and £29 extra if bringing car/van/camper if needed).
Then later some discount tickets will be available at £114 (plus £15 trail track access if wanted and £29 if bringing a car/van/camper).
Final tickets (if spaces left) will be £129 (plus £15 trail track access if wanted and £29 for car/van/camper if needed) is the full price for tickets if they haven't sold out by then.

I never realised it was so expensive to queue for over priced food, beer or test rides.

I think I shall just have a camping weekend somewhere nice instead.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you seen how much they want for next year?
Something tells me I'll be giving it a miss... the one just gone (the 2020 event) cost me £49 btw.

So... special offer for us previous ticket holders, 2022 ABR event - £89 with free adventure track access.
Then £99 for early bird tickets with no track access (£15 extra for trail track access and £29 extra if bringing car/van/camper if needed).
Then later some discount tickets will be available at £114 (plus £15 trail track access if wanted and £29 if bringing a car/van/camper).
Final tickets (if spaces left) will be £129 (plus £15 trail track access if wanted and £29 for car/van/camper if needed) is the full price for tickets if they haven't sold out by then.

I never realised it was so expensive to queue for over priced food, beer or test rides.

I think I shall just have a camping weekend somewhere nice instead.
Music festival tickets are £2-£300 in comparison

I would sooner go to ABR

·
Registered
20 Posts

I would sooner go to ABR
I'm not disputing your preference but the difference between the ABR festival and a music festival is that with a music festival once you remove all the people trying to sell you stuff you'd still have a ton of stuff to occupy yourself with but if you tried the same trick with the abr festival you'd had a muddy trail like are within driving distance of most people. I think that they need to provide better value rather than inviting a load of vendors and hoping for the best.

Also, despite there being over 100k people at glastonbury the longest I've queued for a pint was a few minutes ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I guess... but other than the camping I didn't actually get much from this festival.
Not meaning to have a moan about it but the camping would have been far better at a good campsite instead, as would the amenities. Me and my buddy basically entertained ourselves offsite for most of the days so a camp site near a good pub for evenings would have been a better weekend for us.

I much preferred the old site near Bambury to be honest, it was way cheaper, they had a cracking onsite dirt track to play on and organised local runs for both trail & adventure bikes.
By making it bigger they have made it worse IMHO, it offered less but cost more... hence next year I'll do something else instead.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It certainly wasn’t as good as the 2019 event even disregarding the queues. The music was shit this time, far better last time as well.
Instead of stepping the event up, it got bigger but worse. I’ll still probably go next year but that’s make or break time for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It certainly wasn’t as good as the 2019 event even disregarding the queues. The music was shit this time, far better last time as well.
Instead of stepping the event up, it got bigger but worse. I’ll still probably go next year but that’s make or break time for it.
I went in 2019, but not last weekend
Was it a lot worse ?
I didn’t want the Covid hassles

·
Registered
983 Posts
I went in 2019, but not last weekend
Was it a lot worse ?
I didn’t want the Covid hassles
Not a massively worse but it certainly didn’t live up to the billing of bigger and BETTER. Still had a good time but it lost some of its sparkle if that sums it up.

Bit like my old school report saying “could do better”

41 - 58 of 58 Posts