KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an Arai Tour X4 lid for trail / green lanes / wales long days riding ? Fucked off getting soaked and having to constantly remove my goggles know matter what i do when its pissing with rain and cold in the winter ….. wouldn’t think about using one in the summer when im blowing out my ass but for battling the elements and staying dry / warm would one of these work with there pin lock ? ……

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've got one...superb helmet for the use intended...might be a bit hot for really hard riding though. The visor is quite mist-prone and horribly expensive.
I'd also consider the Bell MX9 Adventure...which is a motocross helmet with a visor. Much better venting than the Arai, and a fraction of the price. It's got MIPS, which protects the brain from rotational injury. Being cheaper is good, as it's less painful to replace it if it takes a bash.
I got one to replace the Arai...but there are two issues with it.
1) Most of the venting is non-adjustable...meaning it's too cold for winter use at high-speeds on the road.
2) There's a nasty seam on the lining over your forehead. It gives me a headache and leaves a nasty red line after 30 mins of wear. Last time I wore it someone asked me if I'd slept in it! I'm hoping Mrs Black dog can find time to modify it. This may not be a problem for you, but try before you buy.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I’ve had mine a few years now. Road / trail riding but nothing strenuous generally. I can’t get on with goggles at all, even worse now I need distance glasses.
It is a bit on the heavy side.
A Pinlock works just fine with misting.
Venting seems decent and can be used without the peak for road bike riding without looking a prat or ripping your head off over 60ish.
Visor swings nicely out of the way.
Double D loops really fiddly as they don’t drop low enough to easily feed the strap through…and I have longish thin fingers.
I do like it but regret not delving deeper into the weight issue but it was too expensive to just replace for a while yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thinking was for freezing cold wet winter days…. With the pinlock fitted and visor open slightly would it Stay relatively clear and save the ball ache of constantly having to remove your goggles on and off and instead be able to flip the visor up n down when needed ….

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My thinking was for freezing cold wet winter days…. With the pinlock fitted and visor open slightly would it Stay relatively clear and save the ball ache of constantly having to remove your goggles on and off and instead be able to flip the visor up n down when needed ….
We went from helmet and goggles to Arai and Shoei adventure lids.......best of both worlds

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It’s pretty hard to get a pinlock misted up for more than a second or two, as long as the seal is clean and tight.
They are cosy in winter…just been out for a 20 mile road ride and it was fine…once I’d shut the chin vents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts