KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to wash the bike after last weekend's mud-fest and found this. Glad I decided not to do that one last lap.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and assess the carnage. Hope that missing bit fell out rather than in. Also hope some oil comes out.

Shite.

·
Administrator
9,149 Posts
How the fuck did you manage that?

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could've been one of the three I nearly ran into last Sunday. Maybe fatha moose hoofed my clutch cover before he fucked off.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
In the first pic it looks like the sight glass is full and the oil is black rather than emulsified, so you could be / maybe ok.

I would be tempted to drop oil and filters, flush through and maybe pop the plates out and inspect.

Hopefully all ok.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, there's nothing in the sight glass. That's just a dark empty hole.

I'm going to take it apart tomorrow, including seeing how much oil comes out. Take a look at the state of the clutch.

As I say, I noticed nothing amiss when riding it. Hopefully, that missing bit got swiped outwards - or stayed in the bottom of the cover if it's inside. And hopefully there's a bit of oil in there that kept things lubed enough to avoid damage.

I might go out to the garage, lean it over and see if I can see anything.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a look. Lots of oil in there. Came half way up the sight glass when leaned over about 20 degrees. And it's clean.

I guess I must've hit something somewhere towards the end of the last lap if it didn't have a chance to spit much out. No idea what could've holed it. There's a 60 metre or so rock gardeny section near the end of the course. It's downhillI right now, so I pretty much close my eyes and just let the bike clatter over it at speed. I guess I must've sideswiped something.

I'll take the clutch apart and check for damage tomorrow. Hopefully, I can just put some new oil in, new filter and bolt on the Rekluse cover and be good to go for Sunday's mud wrestle.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
And foot peg, brake.

you haven’t done this “dragging the bike out” have you?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dragging the bike out of what?

Last time it was ridden was last Sunday out at the track. And it's only been ridden at the track this year. Ridiculously muddy last week and so only enough speed to keep the tyres clean.

How would you rip a hole in a clutch cover by dragging a bike out of shit? And there's nothing that you'd need to drag a bike out of. That looks like it needed a powerful punch.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Maybe the kids, wife , girlfriend took it out for a spin without you knowing?
I know what you are up to next it will be ! "oh dear the clutch is damaged" this is your way of justifying putting that recluse back on :whistle::D

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Lost in translation Ruby. You said you dragged it out the garage. I was making a comment on that being exactly what you had done.

Reactions: RubyMurray

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I bet the neighbour installed his fooked up cover on your bike and took your almost mint one.

Seriuosly, I bet the missing part or bits of it lie under the clutch basket. At least that is where I found the bits of my similar looking cover when I hit a small rock a few years ago.

Reactions: RubyMurray

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe the kids, wife , girlfriend took it out for a spin without you knowing?
I know what you are up to next it will be ! "oh dear the clutch is damaged" this is your way of justifying putting that recluse back on :whistle::D
That thought did cross my mind while scratching my head, but it had a thick covering of shit all over, so I'm pretty certain that lot would give it a wide berth.

My current theory is maybe a rock sticking out the side of one of the very deep ruts that are all over the track right now. It's been so wet, half the time you're half way underground with your knees around your ears. Usually, I have at least a couple of semi-spectacular offs, but not last Sunday. It was so slippy I was just plodding around at barely tyre-clearing speed trying not to add another injury for the winter.

And, no, that Rekluse isn't going back on. I've seen the light on that one. They're deadly. And the slave cylinders last 5 minutes before needing a rebuild.

If it's fucked, it's being retired for the winter. Our track is only open 3 times a week for a few hours each time between October and April, and for two of those sessions it's pitch black outside. And with the track in the state it's in, the whole thing become a bit of a chore.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts