KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Austin Racing are now producing peg lowering kits for Gen 3 SDR--ideal for a bit more leg room and the new pegs themselves look grippier than the OE items . I`ll be having a pair .
Only problem is removing the original pegs from their hangers--I can`t see any circlips,and there is no way of locating a suitable tool if the pivot pin is somehow screwed in place. Won`t come out with a gentle tap using hammer and drift. Anyone aware of how they are removed (short of butchery with a drll/grinder!!) before I contact my KTM dealer?

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Why not just email Austin Racing and ask them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just email Austin Racing and ask them?
I did Email Austin Racing----no online fitting instructions available--"we are still perfecting them as this is a brand new product" They said they`d help further when I actually buy the lowering kit. The problem is removing the original pins---as posted above there are no circlips on Gen 3 .( there are on Gen 1 and 2 ) Seems the pins may have to be drilled out and replaced by new ones when the Austin kit is fitted. I`ll speak to my dealer next week and find out for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did Email Austin Racing----no online fitting instructions available--"we are still perfecting them as this is a brand new product" They said they`d help further when I actually buy the lowering kit. The problem is removing the original pins---as posted above there are no circlips on Gen 3 .( there are on Gen 1 and 2 ) Seems the pins may have to be drilled out and replaced by new ones when the Austin kit is fitted. I`ll speak to my dealer next week and find out for sure.
Please, let us know what you'll find!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haven't looked at mine but any chance there could be a grub screw or similar hidden behind the hanger? Seems very strange there would be no way to secure the pin?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please, let us know what you'll find!
Spoke to my dealer---the pivot pins are indeed pressed into the hangers. The pin has a spline which "cuts into the alloy of the footpeg hanger as it`s pressed into place." The pivot pin can be removed using a drift/hammer or puller device (similar to a chain splitter) and perhaps some heat. Best to remove the hangers from the bike and put them in a vice to do this. Having second thoughts re the Austin Racing kit --especially as my insurer classes them as rearsets and wants another £75 to cover their fitment................

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spoke to my dealer---the pivot pins are indeed pressed into the hangers. The pin has a spline which "cuts into the alloy of the footpeg hanger as it`s pressed into place." The pivot pin can be removed using a drift/hammer or puller device (similar to a chain splitter) and perhaps some heat. Best to remove the hangers from the bike and put them in a vice to do this. Having second thoughts re the Austin Racing kit --especially as my insurer classes them as rearsets and wants another £75 to cover their fitment................
Thanks! That's exactly what I thought. I wonder what a dumb a$$ at KTM came up with this stupid idea?
Anyway, I was thinking if it would be possible to use a regular pivot pins (like from gen 2) after removal of the pressed pins?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! That's exactly what I thought. I wonder what a dumb a$$ at KTM came up with this stupid idea?
Anyway, I was thinking if it would be possible to use a regular pivot pins (like from gen 2) after removal of the pressed pins?
Yes --my dealer said the original pivot pins are re-usable but they probably chew up the hanger holes if re-used more than a couple of times. I`m sure you could use gen1/2 pivot pins /circlips instead or just a standard nut and bolt .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts