KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idea of travelling and working in America ain't gonna happen. I'm hearing nothing but good things and oz. So anyone been to the gold coast? My dad knows the head of the council and their lawyer so getting a job should be ok. Anyone live there? Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Would be a bit of a laugh to work there for a few years... decent balance there as you can go out and party all day and night if you want but there is also plenty of nature to go at too. I can honestly say, of all the places I have been to, I would definitely go for Seattle myself though...

Gold coast is nice though Tom, see the pic below and you will see what I mean about the ruggedness and town life so close to each other... The city there is Surfers paradise, bit like Australia's Blackpool/Skegness but the coast line is pretty cool!

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if florida needs a plumber im there yesterday ;):D

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know mate. I dont think i could earn enough out there tho. SoCal would be my first choice. I'm gonna do a teaching diploma or something else to fatten my CV. I don't know what i want;) i know i want don't to be on this rock forever though. :D

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
See about a few years out in Dubai kiddo? I was out there a while back and the plumbers/builders were making hay while the sun shone, think its all back to notmal out there now. good way to build a small mountain of cash and a wodge of experience....

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No interest in Dubai mate. Oz or US for me. I think i need to go on hols there first maybe. Not cheap unfortunatly.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Understandable about Dubai... the only good things are.... 40% of your (already high) wages don't get taken by the government and there are miles and miles and miles of off road tracks to go at. I would definitely try and take a trip before you try to move, I enjoyed Oz but wouldnt want to live there permenantly... Personally, and this is just my own experience, I found the Australians I worked with pretty 'anti-brit' and quite tightly wound/highly strung if you know what I mean. was a bit of a shock as the Aussie image is all about relaxed and easy going. Seattle, the people were straight forward and genuinely relaxed and I have to be honest, as a bit of an ameteur mountaineer, Oz is a little bit flat for me, where the USA has a massive variety in landscape.... NZ is very very nice and as a plumber you would probably be invited with open arms to either OZ or NZ!! take the opportunity while you can, you can always change your mind later!

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was talking to my mate this morning on facebook. He's in NZ, he's a builder and loves it. Maybe worth looking at NZ too. He's been there 10 months and seems to be doing well for himself, which is good to see.:D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The coast is like 6 coastal cities and towns that have all grown into each other. Theres a different vibe from one end of it to the other, and the closer you get to the beach, the more touristy it is. Its best features would be the weather, surf, girlies, and mile apon mile of twisty mountain roads in the hinterlands just in from the coast. Bad points would be coasty bogans and cops that hate hoons. All up its a pretty good spot to have fun. Lots of riders down that way too.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. I do like the idea of having a little place in OZ with a crf 250 and a holden UTE. Yeah im dreaming, i know haha.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats how it all starts
Hence the RC8;)

I really wanna go ANYWHERE. The sooner the better. Gold coast seems nice. I know it's a big place so need to find an ideal town, with mx and plenty of building work. Although i'd shovel shit if it paid the bills. I dont plan on living there for the rest of my life, i dont plan on anything. Just need a change. Oz and NZ seem to be the place to go. Better start saving.:frown::D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Understandable about Dubai... the only good things are.... 40% of your (already high) wages don't get taken by the government and there are miles and miles and miles of off road tracks to go at. I would definitely try and take a trip before you try to move, I enjoyed Oz but wouldnt want to live there permenantly... Personally, and this is just my own experience, I found the Australians I worked with pretty 'anti-brit' and quite tightly wound/highly strung if you know what I mean. was a bit of a shock as the Aussie image is all about relaxed and easy going. Seattle, the people were straight forward and genuinely relaxed and I have to be honest, as a bit of an ameteur mountaineer, Oz is a little bit flat for me, where the USA has a massive variety in landscape.... NZ is very very nice and as a plumber you would probably be invited with open arms to either OZ or NZ!! take the opportunity while you can, you can always change your mind later!

Dubai....fab off road:miles and miles and miles of off road tracks to go :smokin:
Been there more times than you can shake a stick at....but and buts, strange expat commune!!!

Ben that`s an English thing:I found the Australians I worked with pretty 'anti-brit' and quite tightly wound/highly strung:rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
My idea of travelling and working in America ain't gonna happen. I'm hearing nothing but good things and oz. So anyone been to the gold coast? My dad knows the head of the council and their lawyer so getting a job should be ok. Anyone live there? Any advice is welcome.

Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are ok and great bike roads into the hills. The weather is hot and humid most of the year but gets a bit cold in the winter. Should be plenty of work for plumbers. Dont worry about a few pommy jokes as its no worse than the English havin a go at the Irish and Scots. PM me if you want more info.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
http://www.seek.com.au/

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Tom we spent a month in Oz on holidays , my wifes got family there and we loved it , mainly in Sydney and Cairns . I found the Ozzys to be nice people . If you can stick the heat and the creepy crawls it's worth it . IMO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts