KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often while driving exactly on the speed limit of 50mph (At least thats what my road angel says), you always seem to get people coming past doing at least 10 mph more than me. The questions are........

1. Is the average measured between any 2 cameras in a row
2. Measured between any of the cameras along that stretch
3. If you change lanes can either of the 2 cameras pick up your reg number
4. If there are 3 lanes and only 2 cameras can you speed in the uncovered lane
5. Anybody been done for speeding in the average cameras
6. Anybody know anybody been done by the average cameras.
7. Is it the usual speed limit plus 10%

Just wondering?

·
Registered
2 Posts
well when im travelling throught them, my rule of thumb is almost ten mph over what it says, cus your speedo is reading 50, so thats about 46ish, and the sameras HAVE TO allow 10%, so if im driving at a true 58, then im well withing my limmits, and that allows for fluctuations in my speed :)

my mates a bit of a whimp and wont go a penny over what the sign of doom says ha ha

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
let them go as fast as they like through the average, they will get pinged soon enough! remember, some people stick to the rules, others flount them and other people are just stupid!

·
Registered
341 Posts
SPECS System
Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, it uses state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of two video cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators, giving the ability to work 24hrs 7days a week.

SPECS are fitted either at the roadside or central reservation a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network. Mounted to a single or doubled armed distinctive blue SPECS column, they are linked together via computer.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered. This data is then digitally stored on a central computer, so that there is no need for film to be collected and changed at the cameras site.
Pictured above; a SPECS system sited on one side of the road, used to enforce speed in both directions.

There were rumours last year on the internet that the SPECS system was flawed and could be fooled by simply changing lanes but as of today this is unproven.

As these cameras also check your plate to determine speed the computer also does a running check on your plate to make sure your Tax,Mot,Insurance is in date so even if your not speeding if your out of date on the other things your caught.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So has anybody been caught by them or know anybody thats been caught?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I travel from manchester to london alot on my bike I only really slow down for front facing cameras is there is heavy traffic and iv never got any tickets (touch wood). But i believe they are being sneeky down and putting up rear facing average speed cameras, so ill be keeping an eye out.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
The SPECS on roadworks are managed by the construction contractors. They use their discretion on which offenders to report for action to be taken. The stretch of the A1 under construction near me is 50mph, the contractors allow up to 55 mph actual for public, but 50mph if you are a contractor on their books. The fastest speed thay have seen is over 110 mph!

Not all sensors are active, drive in the dark and you can see the active ones as their infra red illuminators will glow, the last live one is the one with additional lighting to help improve the picture quality for the snapshot ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
So has anybody been caught by them or know anybody thats been caught?
I work on the M25 widening junctions 16 to 23 which has specs cameras. One lad on the night shift got caught 3 times in one night. You'd think on your own job you would know not to speed

·
Registered
498 Posts
depends how the installer has programed them.it can be the one in the slow lane on entry then the next camera might be the one in the middle lane.but they wer or have now bought out a system so that all the cameras can get you,wether you enter on the slow lane then exit of the fast lane or keep swapping lanes ect so theyv got you by the balls.when they first came out alot of them wer dummy cameras but not the case now

·
Registered
498 Posts
ps..if all the cameras are not live,the installer might have programed lets say the 2nd camera on any lane to get you on entry then might me might be the 3rd camera from last on any lane on exit,no way of telling,v random

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tell you what, give it a try and answering your own questions, then report back to us here for an update. No? Frankly, I've never been able to speed between SPECS cameras because there's usually too much traffic!!
In general, I would suggest that the answers are:-
1/ Yes
2/ Yes
3/ Yes
4/ No
5/ Not me - they're painted yellow for a reason....
6/ Yes, years ago
7/ Probably, but there's one, sure-fire way to find out.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts