KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I want too sound cheap but what size are tools required to remove the front and rear axles on the Adventure so that I can make one of my own.

Also has anybode used the BeadBuddy? Anyone found one that fits the width of a adv rim? Is one required or are MT90 tyres easy enough to get off while out and about?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Not that I want too sound cheap but what size are tools required to remove the front and rear axles on the Adventure so that I can make one of my own.

Also has anybode used the BeadBuddy? Anyone found one that fits the width of a adv rim? Is one required or are MT90 tyres easy enough to get off while out and about?
What kind of tool are you talking about?
The punch-style? Or the puller-type?
You want to know the inside diameter? I can measure it for you in a sec...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing the Punch type would be more compact so that would be better to take on my trip to Timbuktu. I have heard people use a socket which fits well. If you use the right sized socket obviously

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
There are 3 types AFAIK.
1) the punch-type - e.g. Touratech.

2) the puller-style like this

You typically leave this attached to the front axle.
3) the cap-style - like this:

The longer cap allowing you belt it from the other side.

Now, in my experience, if the axle is kept properly greased etc, you never need one of these.
That said, on my current adv the right hand fork always grips the damn thing. No matter how much I clean it & copper-grease it.
In this case, the only thing that works for me is being able to twist and pull it.
Hitting from the other side has the tendancy to spread the forks (and not move it a millimetre).

So if any, I would go with the 2nd type...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I don t get these axle removal tools ?? I ve always been able to remove the axle of every bike i ve ever had so why would you need one of these thingies?? Surely if the axle is well greased , you don t use a power washer and you regulary strip , clean and regrease everything will be fine?? Or am i missin somethin ??

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I don t get these axle removal tools ?? I ve always been able to remove the axle of every bike i ve ever had so why would you need one of these thingies?? Surely if the axle is well greased , you don t use a power washer and you regulary strip , clean and regrease everything will be fine?? Or am i missin somethin ??
Like I said in my post. No, you shouldnt need these things.
But, even though I keep my front axle well maintained, it can still be a right PITA to remove - even with a puller.

I guess the question is what do you do if you cant get it out & you only have your bare hands?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All well and good using the 'brute force and ignorance' method but carrying a club hammer accross africa seems overkill. Although it could be handy for self defence and killing elephants.
Might go for the well lubed option and try my luck with big rocks and sticks!

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
All well and good using the 'brute force and ignorance' method but carrying a club hammer accross africa seems overkill. Although it could be handy for self defence and killing elephants.
Might go for the well lubed option and try my luck with big rocks and sticks!
Yeah, you can use the handle that goes with the axle spanner. But you just have to be careful not to damage the threads. That said, its not like these things are super-expensive or heavy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a very quick trip. 6 days through Morocco, 5 days in Mauritania and then to timbuktu perhaps another 5 days. We're going to spend 2 weeks in morocco on way back though. A bit of exploration.
Going with Nick Sanders so from what I heard from a pal who went last year it's brilliant. Not really guided, more facilitated so it's still an adventure and not modicodeled in hotels etc...
Mrs will be on the back so she can't complain I never take her anywhere.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Like I said in my post. No, you shouldnt need these things.
But, even though I keep my front axle well maintained, it can still be a right PITA to remove - even with a puller.

I guess the question is what do you do if you cant get it out & you only have your bare hands?
Well, fookin guess what?

The reason my well-maintained axle was a PITA to remove was because of the axle puller!

They have a cam-like arrangement that grips to the walls of the axle - and if done up tight enough, will make the axle tube expand and bind on the forks!
Its the last thing I was expecting. Id have thought the axle was way to strong for that to happen.

Thanks to sproot for the flash of inspiration. We removed the axle puller and hey-presto, the thing slid in and out of the forks like butter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts