KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... recently bought this bike with a fuel issue that I've managed to fix, it has BOS silencers, o2 sensors disconnected, sas valve diconnected, mapping unknown but probably the stock map ?? I'm tempted to put it back to stock configuration as it drinks fuel like water and snatchy on the throttle at low revs/speed, cornering and roundabouts are a nightmare. Basically is it worth it, will it make the bike more erratic going back to stock. Has anyone had the same issues and found a positive fix lol ?? She's a great bike on the open road but when filtering or in slow traffic it's like riding a kangaroo with the throttle control... I don't use it for off road but will be doing some long distance road work on it. To be honest im thinking of selling it if I can't find a fix and going back to a older carb'd adventure bike. Is there anyone out there that could offer real good advice on this issue... do I leave it as it is or go back to stock.... Will it make the throttle response worse ???
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It does work, or you could do a remap, or try tune ECU, personally I'd try this first, will cost nowt take 10 mins, and easily changed back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out on this.... I've been reading some of the link even though all these mods are sort of alien to me at the moment lol. Can I do the said Mod of disconnecting the 2 wires and still put the bike back to standard, Or... would it be better to leave the Sas valve off, o2 sensors disconnected and BOS cans on... and just put up with it drinking fuel ??
I have no idea what removing the butterflies is.... I have recently downloaded the Tune ecu app and ordering the conection cables this weekend. Would it pay for me to have the Akro map with the Bos cans etc ??? I'm sure I'll get to grips with all this at some point but it does confuse me as to what works and how to achieve it.
Again thank you !!!!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
With tune ECU, you can turn off the sensor for the 2 and 3rd gear limiter, that makes it snatchy.
I have used the tune ECU long after I did the mod, to do my TPS. Tbh Tune ECU is a mine field to the non tech people. I down loaded the programme on my laptop and just played with it, not adjusting anything for hours, over a couple of days. One thing I did do tho, was save the map I had on the bike ecu, and named it oe file. So if I did feck it up, just reload it. But seeing as I was only setting the TPS up, i had no problems. Loads of stuff on youtube and the like. If you pm Kev in Yorks, on here, he is a guru and if your nice, he may give your more help, than I can. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With tune ECU, you can turn off the sensor for the 2 and 3rd gear limiter, that makes it snatchy.
I have used the tune ECU long after I did the mod, to do my TPS. Tbh Tune ECU is a mine field to the non tech people. I down loaded the programme on my laptop and just played with it, not adjusting anything for hours, over a couple of days. One thing I did do tho, was save the map I had on the bike ecu, and named it oe file. So if I did feck it up, just reload it. But seeing as I was only setting the TPS up, i had no problems. Loads of stuff on youtube and the like. If you pm Kev in Yorks, on here, he is a guru and if your nice, he may give your more help, than I can. Good luck
I will do the 2nd/3rd gear mod tomorrow evening via the wiring and test it out to see if the snatchy throttle Has subsided, which is fast becoming my pet hate with the bike More so than the amount of fuel it drinks lol. I may leave the BOS cans on and put the Akro map on it, but yeah I’ll copy the original map In case I mess up.
thanks for your input... I really appreciate it !!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I reckon you may have the acro map on. Saying that they are a bit thirsty, but even more so with the acro map on. If I commuted I would get about 135ish before fuel light, on a ride out, about 155ish B4 fuel light.
I now have the R, and it's about 15 less miles on each of those.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you changed out the throttle tube? The one for the RC8 is a direct fit, and the same profile as the G2.
I have an '08 990 adv with Akra's, and with everything else std. Its fine.
The throttle tube made a big difference to that snatchiness of the V Twin.
If I can find the part number, I'll post it.
Edit:
Here..
Part no.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try anything to improve the throttle response, if you could find the part number for the RC8 throttle tube I would certainly give it a go. Thank you for taking the time to reply... appreciated !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I reckon you may have the acro map on. Saying that they are a bit thirsty, but even more so with the acro map on. If I commuted I would get about 135ish before fuel light, on a ride out, about 155ish B4 fuel light.
I now have the R, and it's about 15 less miles on each of those.
I do have the Tune Ecu app on my Android tablet and the relevant cables came thru the post this morning... connected it to the bike and it says it's running the stock KM601EU0704501 map, checked for error codes which there is none... and that's where I left it as I didn't want to mess with anything lol, im doing the mod that you have suggested later and post up the results. I don't have a problem rolling off the throttle, it's when I roll on the throttle in corners, roundabouts and filtering in slow traffic... it's like a light switch and really snatchy, having to clutch it continuously to stop it kangarooing. I've had numerous sports bikes and enduro's over the years and this bike is fantastic on the open road but a real dog with this low speed issue, to the point where Im thinking it's dangerous. Im thinking if I can't sort this soon then the bike will have to go ☹ thanks again for your help bud.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update... totally different bike! Bike seems as though it's idling slightly lower and it seems a tad quieter. Bike stalled 3 times on roll off of throttle within 500 yards, temp gauge was 3 bars, I stopped for a smoke half way on the test drive for 15-20 minutes and when pulling away it stalled again twice ?? Do you think the TPS needs adjusting to bring the idle up, the only thing I have adjusted recently was the throttle cables up on the bars to take the slack out ??? Apart from that I'm well happy with the way it went !!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It could be the TPS, it's easy to check one tune ECU is plugged in. Cant remember the exact process, but the app has lots of info and youtube. Hope it's a lot better on slow riding now

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could be the TPS, it's easy to check one tune ECU is plugged in. Cant remember the exact process, but the app has lots of info and youtube. Hope it's a lot better on slow riding now
I did a 15 minute reset earlier and then off to fuel up.... she seems to be idling ok again now. Took her for a quick spin and she's handling loads better at slow speeds etc, im really pleased... thank you so much for helping me out !! I'll know tomorrow morning if it's still stalling as I ride the bike to work every day, fingers crossed it was just a glitch after doing the mod or me adjusting the throttle cables.
Thanks bud I really appreciate your input :)(y)

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
I tried the RC8 throttle and when you roll off the throttle, there was no definate 'stop' to throttle movement which felt odd. I took it off and copied the profile onto my stock throttle tube with some careful dremmel adjustment. This helped a bit, but it wasn't a game changer. Bike already had a 43 rear sprocket and FMF slip ons fitted by p.o, and l had then removed and plugged SAS and put on a fuel dongle to make sure f.i light didnt come on. I also changed all the fuel filters. I looked in DIY tune ecu but being a 'non techie' l went to XBikes and they dyno'd it and then remapped it for me using tune ecu. The bike is now night and day different and has been since they did it 2 years ago. Its a joy to ride at any speed - even better than a well set up 950 with carbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to stock? No. Not in my opinion!
Thanks for your input on the throttle slide, I think I’m going to try the bike out over a few weeks and see how I get on, I have ordered a RC8 slide but I’ll hold off fitting it as the bike is behaving lovely after the 2nd/3rd gear mod. I am now thinking of leaving it with the BOS cans on, sas valve removed and o2 sensors unplugged etc, it is currently running on the stock map. Thanks again 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been out this evening in the glorious sunshine for a 3 hour blast here in west Cornwall and I'm really happy with the way the bike is running and handling... my confidence in riding it is back up, what a dramatic difference. My mate who I regularly ride out with said he could see the difference tonight as he had, at times, a job to keep up ! Not that we were racing each other, I was just putting the bike through it's paces to see if my issues with it had gone. I was close to putting it up for sale... not now though, I'll be keeping it. Thank you for helping me sort this issue guys... i really appreciate it !! If it wasn't for this forum I would have struggled on until I would have sold it.... thanks again. Andy.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm pleased you sorted it. A bit worrying cutting wires etc. I was the same, but never regretted it. My R has been tuned by BSD, before I had it, so it's not there, but it cost the previous owner £350+ to sort it.
It makes it a pleasure to ride once its sorted, especially off road and mini roundabouts etc.
Enjoy and ride the torque baby:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts