KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have put 2000 miles on My 790 in last 2 months and was getting confident with the ease of riding it. This morning in light rain as I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd in approach to a big roundabout at about 30 mph the back wheel locked, stalled and I fish tailed to a stop, very nearly wiped out!
I do the same downshift there everyday and don’t know what happened, could quick shifter go from 3rd to locked wheel in one movement. Rode to work and back and only down shifted with clutch and no further problems?

·
Administrator
4,067 Posts
I think this is a great example of why lots of road bikes have slipper clutches? Once that traction has broken it just gives up and sliding is easiest.

Although what do I know; I thought quick shifters were only for the way up, not the way down too....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Has the light rain on a previously shiny bit of road caused the issue ? If its very low friction that could be the reason, if its a normal bit of road with normal grip then something else is up.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My guess is it's more likely the engine stalled afterwards as just doing a hard down shift wouldn't lock the back wheel, it'd still be turning as the engine would still be running. It would feel like it was locked though as it would be sliding.
Maybe the quick shifter ECU had a brain fart and cut the engine, or maybe you just panicked when the rear broke loose and then stalled the engine whilst braking.

Either-way, I wouldn't over think it. If it's working ok again now then just be aware it could happen again in "greasy" conditions.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had this happen recently on my 990 when I had to brake hard to avoid a car that pulled out. Slammed on the brakes, it stalled. I grabbed the clutch so it was all fine. But once in the 40,000 miles I've on the 990 is acceptable.

I did read somewhere that riders were suffering from cutting out issues and some blamed the E10 fuel, one bloke swopped back to 97/99 octane and reckoned that solved the issue. Could be simply a placebo affect, who knows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to dealer and he said the quick shifter can get out slightly out of sequence which may cause the problem so they will check next week and use clutch in meantime. It seemed like bike went direct from 3rd to first but I can’t be sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts