KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 ktm 350sxf and my battery is not recharging when riding so dies but ive changed the battery, regulator, altenator and even the starter motor yet its still not recharging now completely stuck on what to do is there any other parts i could try changing or anything else to do any advice would be great thanks Jack

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You need a decent meter such as a fluke meter, you can then check that you are getting AC current out of the charging coil (the stator). You can check this at the connection to the regulator (which I presume is ale the regulator). You can then check for a DC current out of the reg/rec, I guess it should be around 14-15 volts. In my humble opinion the wiring loom on Enduro KTMS are total crap, the wires are hair thin, the insulation goes brittle and the connectors are low quality!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need a decent meter such as a fluke meter, you can then check that you are getting AC current out of the charging coil (the stator). You can check this at the connection to the regulator (which I presume is ale the regulator). You can then check for a DC current out of the reg/rec, I guess it should be around 14-15 volts. In my humble opinion the wiring loom on Enduro KTMS are total crap, the wires are hair thin, the insulation goes brittle and the connectors are low quality!
Yeah tested it on the battery when starting its a 12v battery and should jump up to about 13-14v when running and reving but sits at 12 then slowly goes down

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yeah tested it on the battery when starting its a 12v battery and should jump up to about 13-14v when running and reving but sits at 12 then slowly goes down
You need to test each part of the charging system, you can work your way back from the battery, you established that it is not getting charged so the next thing would to be to check that you are getting an output voltage out of the reg/rec unit, you should be looking for 14-ish volts. If you are not getting an output from teh reg/rec then check that you are getting an AC input to the unit, I would imagine it would be around 16-20 volts AC, it should at least be more than 14v AC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to test each part of the charging system, you can work your way back from the battery, you established that it is not getting charged so the next thing would to be to check that you are getting an output voltage out of the reg/rec unit, you should be looking for 14-ish volts. If you are not getting an output from teh reg/rec then check that you are getting an AC input to the unit, I would imagine it would be around 16-20 volts AC, it should at least be more than 14v AC.
Oh right so how can i test the regulator where should i put my voltmeter

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Oh right so how can i test the regulator where should i put my voltmeter
I'm not familiar with your bike, you need to get hold of a wiring diagram, it will show you the input and outputs for the regulator and the stator unit.

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Battery is toast. Definitely check regulator though as that might’ve been the cause or even the connection for the regulator as they can rot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts