KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on Saturday with a few guys from SD.net.

Bit off a faff setting up as you have to get everything out of the van, and get noise tested, very strict 101Db limit (I had 104 Db with baffles out but putting them in got me 96Db) drive to the carpark then get a minibus to the briefing.

I was inters and as is par for me started ok and gradually built speed troughout the day. Bedford runs anticlockwise so there are lots of left handers, easy knee down in the first session!. By mid morning I was scraping the left peg so started hanging off a bit more instead. I looked at the rear shock and then checked all the other SD's they were all running twice as much preload as me ! I spoke to Ash who offered to help set mine up for me. He was in fast group and out next so I said I'd do one more session(the one after his) and then we could do it at lunchtime. So last session before lunch and I was out having my usual battle with a VTR1000 and GSXR1000 I'd got the better of the both of them and was trying to build a big enough gap so they couldn't get me on the straight ( I wasn't quite reaching 140MPH ). Exiting the right hander onto the start finish straight I became aware the the back end had come round ( I'd guess I was doing about 90-100MPH) it took what seemed like a while before I realised what that implied, as the rear gripped it made an awful schreech, "thats it" I thought I'm off.... "Is Nicky insured to drive the van home because this is faaaaast, the bike flicked back violently throwing me upwards I was told afterwards by people watching that my arse was 3ft off the seat ! ! when I came down, by some kind of miracle both my feet landed on the pegs just as the bike was sorting itself out and away I went.... unscathed !. I took the next 2 corners very carefully and then pulled off track as I REALLY needed a fag!.

I decided not to fuck around with the suspension today afterall! !

In the afternoon I didn't get much more speed but I wasn't being overtaken by anyone that I didn't take back a few corners later, I often wouldn't see them again after that ! By the end of the day I was lying flat on the tank down the long straight, that with getting the power on earlier out of the corner enabled me to see 152 on the speedo before hauling on the anchors!

All in an excellent day, nice to see some people and meet some new ones. And Nicky even managed knee down which has proved elusive so far !

·
Registered
669 Posts
sounds like a cartoon the way you left the bike and landed back in the riding position )))). got to admit the SD is very good at recovering after a rear slide, but at them speeds....

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I had the same kind of ejection at brands last year. Very scary... Just remember that no amount of kudos from yer mates is worth a highside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts