KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rip off, scam

Last year I brought insurance with bennetts for quite a reasonable price but when the time came to renew this year they had put my premium up to £694 (up nearly £200) on last year despite not having had an accident, anyway I decided to go with Caroline Nash who quoted me £220 for a very similar policy so I went with them, unforchantly however I received a letter from bennetts telling me that I had been charged for a years policy (£694) and it turns out that in the small print you have to opt out of renewal, so I phoned bennetts and asked for a refund but I got nothing but poor attitude once they found out that I was cancelling. I was told that they would charge me a £30 admin fee plus £50 for five days cover despite being covered by another insurer. The insurance was due to start on the 17th and I phoned on the 20th to cancel but they didn’t charge my account until the 21st . So I’ve paid £694 for insurance with bennetts and £220 with carol Nash.
Now it seems to me that bennetts lure you in with a competitive rate for the first year and then hope you don’t notice the small print and charge you an uncompetitive rate for the next years insurance.
You’ve been warned
Bennetts are a scam.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just been to reviewcenter.com http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews64066.html and bennetts scored 0.8 out of five stars (an average with 69 separate reviews) soon too be 70.

don’t use bennetts

S

·
0 Posts
But you get a 14day cooling off period so why have they charged you?....Thats consumer law when you enter a contract of motor insurance

A renewal would be a new contract again

S

·
0 Posts
So have you actually paid bennets the £600 odd pound?

If you are an existing customer and you have passed your renewal date without cancelling the policy you may be charged a cancellation fee and the Renewal Administration Fee is also non refundable.

You will have received a letter informing you of your renewal date and your new insurance premium about 30 days before renewal so there is plenty of opportunity to stop the renewal before renewal date and incur no fees (YOU NEVER GOT THIS DID YOU :). It is only after the renewal date has passed and if you have not acted, that we will have to charge you some fees for the cancellation.

In both cases, you will be asked to send us the certificate of your motor insurance and upon receipt we will process any relevant refund.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Automatic renewals are common-place in the industry. Bikesure / Adrian Flux also offers this but it is clear to the eye on the renewal invitation. Can't miss it.

If you arranged alternative insurance with effect from your renewal date, send Bennetts a copy of the new certificate. Their policy will have to be lapsed / cancelled from the inception of your current policy to avoid duel-insurance. If their renewal cover is lapsed from renewal it is unlikely that they will still charge their fees.

If you need any other advice, just give me a shout.

Phil

S

·
0 Posts
Insurance companys are rip offs. Everytime I have changed a bike on my policy and they say theres a refund of say £40 on the policy they always say " we will keep that as our adminastration charge....what £40 for changing bike details rip offs

·
Registered
946 Posts
Insurance companys are rip offs. Everytime I have changed a bike on my policy and they say theres a refund of say £40 on the policy they always say " we will keep that as our adminastration charge....what £40 for changing bike details rip offs
A rather sweeping generalisation.

Phil

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
there all cunts :D at least dick turpin wore a mask hey :D

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only ever insure for third party because thats the risk I cant control. The money I've saved on premiums would pay for a replacement bike, but then again I'll be 108 on my next birthday.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Bennetts sucked me in with a cracking price for year one. Then it all went horribly wrong at renewal time - massive price hike for year two (with no change to the original risk) and their approach to customer service is truly appalling!

The automatic renewal policy should be outlawed - especially when it usually features a massive increase. Was this specifically designed to catch out any customer who ain't fully awake as renewal time approaches?

Bennett's (and their other online trading names) are companies I will not have any further dealings with. Quite frankly they are not the sort of company that I could recommend to any fellow biker.

"Caveat Emptor Bennetts" as they might say in Lindum (Lincoln)!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bennetts,
'Your current insurance company (who we found) won't cover your new bike as they don't cover that type of bike'. I was going from a 04 525 EXC to a 09 530 EXC. Same bike but newer. New quote from a different company was increased from £85 to £190 but they offered to waive the cancellation fee of £30 with 5 months to run.
I wasn't happy obviously as ebike would insure my new bike for £95 but Bennetts wouldn't budge. I was just going to leave their policy running to get the NCB up but they wouldn't let me as its illegal apparently, so i had to pay the £30 cancellation fee! Robbing bastards and would never use or recommend them again.
Ebike seem good, added my Montesa trials bike midterm and didn't get charged any fee at all, just printed my new documents, job done.
Rant over, away for another dram!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Bennetts,
'Your current insurance company (who we found) won't cover your new bike as they don't cover that type of bike'. I was going from a 04 525 EXC to a 09 530 EXC. Same bike but newer. New quote from a different company was increased from £85 to £190 but they offered to waive the cancellation fee of £30 with 5 months to run.
I wasn't happy obviously as ebike would insure my new bike for £95 but Bennetts wouldn't budge. I was just going to leave their policy running to get the NCB up but they wouldn't let me as its illegal apparently, so i had to pay the £30 cancellation fee! Robbing bastards and would never use or recommend them again.
Ebike seem good, added my Montesa trials bike midterm and didn't get charged any fee at all, just printed my new documents, job done.
Rant over, away for another dram!
Another glowing testimonial for Bennetts - remember though, that they need to pay for all those promotional girlies at the shows.

You can't beat an unsatisfied customer to spread the news .............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote---You can't beat an unsatisfied customer to spread the news

You sure can’t,

I’ve posted this on 10 different forums and posted 3 poor reviews on insurance review websites. If I’ve only put one person off bennetts then it’s cost them more than it’ll cost me.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll let you know how it goes.

p.s. I know it’s petty but bennetts have stolen my pub money so I have nothing better to do.:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Bennetts sucked me in with a cracking price for year one. Then it all went horribly wrong at renewal time - massive price hike for year two (with no change to the original risk)
I seem to read about this on a lot of forums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts