KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just completed a 1000 mile offroad trip on my 950 Adventure and have the bug. Thought I'd buy a small enduro for weekend fun. Of course, as a KTM fan, I want a KTM (despite my mates trying to turn me Japanese, I really think not..).

I have seen 200 EXCs and 250s with 350 kits. for £1500-2000. Also seen 450s as well. Totally confused. Not really sure what the difference is (apart from obvious cc) and which is most suited to my needs ie green laning, poss hare & hounds, some technical trails and odd weekend to France for trail riding. (live in Poole so have a ferry on doorstep).

The 200 EXC looks very nimble, but worried it may not be powerful enough. Although just saw a vid on youtube and it appeared to perform well.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
240 Posts
250f mate! had mine since jan and loved every min of it! its gots loads of power for lanes and i think best bike around for H&H. go for the 2007 + as these have double over head cams. lot better and dont bog down just when you need that little bit of gunt!

welcome to the best club ever!!!! most my mates have jap bikes! leave em for dead!

Matt

·
Registered
887 Posts
Might be a bit hopeful trying to find a '07 250f for £1500 :rolleyes:

If you find any...let me know ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
KTM 200 EXC

Great little bike, light nimble, and plenty of grunt(for me anyway). I am sure you be surprised at just how quick they are.

and best of all, if the engine goes pop, its not going to cost huge money, unlike the 4 stokes. Dont get me wrong, the 4 strokes are probably easier to ride, but i was always thinking about those little valves having the "tits revved out of them.

2 stroke all the way!! Ha Ha..... bet this opens a can of worms

Regards

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 200 certainly isn't lacking in top end power - well, unless you're trying to race flat out on American desert tracks anyway :).
However, some do lack low down go - my 04 model is quite revvy. I've talked with various other 200 owners and some feel grunty low down, others don't. There's various mods you can do to change that, however.

I haven't ridden a 250f, but should do some time to compare.

Don't dismiss the bigger 2 strokes - 250/300cc 2 strokes should also be within your budget and they definitely should have a broad and easy to use range of power, but also have lots up top if you want it - yet still weigh about the same or less than the 250f and need less maintenance I believe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Guess it depends on whether its got to be KTM and where you want to ride IEconstant off road or small road work or 20/30 mile road work with lanes mixed in

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yea, probably shouldn't mention it in here, but Gas Gas's are pretty good value for similar 2 strokes too.

I'm stuck with KTM because I've got enough stuff that's interchanable between all models that I'd prefer to pay a bit more but have the flexibility.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hi all

The 200 EXC looks very nimble, but worried it may not be powerful enough. Although just saw a vid on youtube and it appeared to perform well.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Andy
Get a ride on one before you belive the stories , most who say they are slow could not ride one to the max :wanker: they aint the clubmans weapon for nothing :smokin:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Try the 200,some love em ,others don't get on with them at all. Personally I love mine,torque from a 2/ was a bit of a shock as I can remember KH250s and the like. Rode it in France for 3 days this year but have bunged a large tank on it now as they are a bit thirsty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts