KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fucks sake, I'm back to being a tit, can't undo the front sprocket, and the sprocket carrier nuts on the rear just keep spinning..... fucking simple be I
The M8 nuts are for the sprocket, and I don't think the bolt turns while undoing them. The M10 nuts hold the cushdrive sprocket carrier onto the hub carrier plate and their bolt will turn when undoing the nut. However using an impact wrench sith slight off centre pressure undoes them fine, but you don't need to touch these to replace the sprocket. I've just been through this replace the nuts because they are furry on my bike. Previous owner must have been on salty roads.

New owner BTW, just picked my 15 SDR up. Realy enjoying it. Need to look at suspension and slight clutch slippage under load, but thats for another thread. Im based in East Midlands if there is anybody about my way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, I did work it out eventually 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ just me being a div again. Just waiting on a 41mm socket to turn up now so I can swap the discs over.... estimated between 17:00 and 20:00 though so chances are I'm not getting out to play today....gutted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well
Yeah, I did work it out eventually 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ just me being a div again. Just waiting on a 41mm socket to turn up now so I can swap the discs over.... estimated between 17:00 and 20:00 though so chances are I'm not getting out to play today....gutted
Well the GP should keep you entertained. Yamaha are looking strong and they haven't had the advantage of testing there this year.I think Ducati and KTM will show better in the race though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good shout on that. Shame I have to sort the garage out....left it in utter shit-state yesterday 🤣🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clean garage, dirty mind ;)

I've just got enough time to nip down the allotment, pick some carrots, kale and spinach, get some flowers for my partner before she gets home, then sit down guilt free to watch the GP. I don't nknow how much longer I can keep this pretence up. Tuesday is set aside to ride the 1290 :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's taken me almost a full weekend to get the chain, sprockets and rear disc done.... or it will by time it is done.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ i just wanna ride the bloody thing and try the new rear out

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, so finally got it all done etc, only been as far as petrol station in town so haven't tried it out properly but I do seem to ve getting a lot of vibration through the left peg now..... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I assume you've checked the basics.

Everything is tightened and chain and sprockets are running in line. Chain pitch / sprocket compatibility ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I believe so. Going to have a look at front sprocket again tonight and double check its not come slightly loose but the nut was thread locked, torqued to 100nm and had the washer folded over...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
paranoia induced by lack of confidence in basic tool skills?

[OEM front,DID chain,Supersprox rear]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the vibration increase with speed or revs? Is it at a specific frequency?

I'd be asking myself questions like that while testing.

I had a strange clunking noise on mine recently. Turned out to be part of the puig screen. Vibes at 3200rpm. I was worried it was something more serious for a bit.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Ditch the Puig screen. I had one, it just creates turbulence at silly speeds, especially if you wear textiles. Bike looks better without a screen too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It seemed to be low down in the revs more than anything. Oh I always get paranoid after working on stuff.... terrible for it

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Fitting new chain and sprocks should reduce vibration, not increase it. Worn chain have excessive lash and worn sprockets chatter. Fitting a new set should make everything feel silky smooth.
Get the bike up on a stand, remove the front sprocket cover and check carefully for tight spots. If your joining link isn't articulating freely you should see it clearly as it travels round the front sprocket. Spin the wheel and watch and listen carefully. It should sound smooth as a sewing machine. Take the chain guard off and watch the chain from the rear as it runs over both sprockets. Poor alignment should be noticeable.
Make sure it's not too tight either. Don't bother fucking about with the checking procedure in the manual. Just set the bike on its wheels and lean your weight in the seat to compress the suspension until the swinging arm is horizontal. That's the point in the suspension travel where the chain will be at its tightest. Reach down and feel how much slack you've got in the chain at that point. You should have about an inch of slack travel. If its like a guitar string it's too tight.
If all that is good, it's not your chain. Could be paranoia or you've fucked something up inside and the bike's a write-off. In which case, let me know and I'll make you an offer for the scrap value. Cash money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
🤣🤣🤣🤣 you'll be my first call. Probably just paranoia.... I was bad enough after taking the wheels off for new tyres...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Everything seems good but maybe 1mm or so of lateral movement on chain at front sprocket

21 - 39 of 39 Posts