KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I have some advice re tyres for KTM lc4 640 sm prestige 2006 please?

Had this bike since last July 09 and I use mostly 99% on road. Now want to replace both front and rear tyres.

I'm now looking to replace them and I was thinking to PIRELLI SCORPION MT 90 S/T or also MT 80 R / MT 80 RS. Can anyone advice also on the tyre size I will have to choose. For example better a back wheel 160/60 or a 140/80? How can I decide which one is the best for my bike? What the general criteria I should adopt for choosing the tyre size?

feedback from anyone on these or recommendations greatly appreciated!

Vic

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
my 04 625 has AVON PRO-EXTREME on the front at 26 psi
and has a pilotpower 2ct (duel compound) on the rear at 28psi

i dont really care too much what is on the back as long as i have the PRX on the front.........
i have had pirelli super corsas and conti force on the rear and now this duel conpond thing.........i ride it the same with any of them on......

but thats only me..........

let the flood gates open............hold on tight Vic

M

·
0 Posts
Maxxis Supermaxx for me front and rear. Grips like a 14yr old to his first hard-on

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Maxxis Supermaxx for me front and rear. Grips like a 14yr old to his first hard-on
but shakes about as much as him when he has his 1st ejaculation too:eek::D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
pmsl me ^^^ :D

Michelin SM, soft in front and hard on the rear.. not road legal but I don't have any issue with that :p

Road legal opinion is the Michelin pilot power 2CT ;) grippy as hell especially in the wet..

M

·
0 Posts
but shakes about as much as him when he has his 1st ejaculation too:eek::D
Haha, tbh I've had no trouble with these supermaxx sports, up to an indicated 110 no shake, unlike the standard fit tyres previous to them.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Could I have some advice re tyres for KTM lc4 640 sm prestige 2006 please?

Had this bike since last July 09 and I use mostly 99% on road. Now want to replace both front and rear tyres. Vic
Sticking on a set of knobbly type tyres for 99% road use may not be the best use of your budget.

You might also consider how long you want to get out of them? Some of the tyres mentioned might be great if the bike is only used as a weekend toy and you can afford sticky rubber that lasts less than 1000 miles - you might require something with more longevity if you are commuting or using the bike a lot? On the other hand if you are doing track work then that's another consideration. Another factor is cost - I've gone into the workshop to buy Pirellis for my 640 and come out with Continentals - purely down to them being on 'special offer' that week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pirelli diablo super corsa pro

Sc1 Front

Sc2 Rear

Was recommended to me by someone on here and it's an excellent combination, although i don't ride in the wet.

The lean you can get is immense.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Haha, tbh I've had no trouble with these supermaxx sports, up to an indicated 110 no shake, unlike the standard fit tyres previous to them.
Same here I'm on my 2nd set and a few track days done with no issues or speed wobble as I had on the bike with goldspeeds on - I also run them on other bikes with no issues. Dunno what they're like in the wet as I can never be arsed to get wet :dozey:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pirelli diablo super corsa pro

Sc1 Front

Sc2 Rear

Was recommended to me by someone on here and it's an excellent combination, although i don't ride in the wet.

The lean you can get is immense.

I fitted these to my 640 prestige they were mint expecially the turn in on the front and i did ride in the wet they kept you on your toes but not too extreme:smokin:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Noted the 'were' - suggesting in the past - what's your current preference?

Inow have a 990 and am not ready to change the tyres but i have always fancied trying d207s on a supermoto

·
Registered
398 Posts
I fitted these to my 640 prestige they were mint expecially the turn in on the front and i did ride in the wet they kept you on your toes but not too extreme:smokin:
what do you mean they kept you on your toes in the wet? looking for a new pair for mine now and looking for something that will hold down in the rain ..seeing as it does so much of that here..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are you around central london?

If you only do short trips, its has to be a race wet front. I run a goldspeed wet front with a street sport ultra on the back. Once i found the right pressures its pretty stable for an SM. 1600 miles on the front so far and plenty left to go, but im only doing a quick 10 mile blast and then home. no motorway etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Put a Conti Force on the front and had no complaints so i replaced the knackered oem pirelli rear with the same.I havent done too many miles but so far so good.Past 90mph and the steering is 'unsettled' but i need to check pressures before i condemn them.90+ on a sm isnt much fun anyway

1 - 20 of 22 Posts