KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a touring bike. It has to have shaft drive, a big tank 25 litreish and facilities for panniers so that's a GTR1400 or a BMW? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated :scooter:

·
Registered
112 Posts
had 2 bmwr1200gs the first one was brand new 05 plate broke down 14 times in a year ..they replaced it with brand new 06 plate ..ran great for 6month then unfortunately got stolen because i left it at the centre of town after breakdown number 22...do know lots of people dont get problems with them but i had every fault under the sun...

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Depends what you want to spend! you can pick up BMW's for peanuts from time to time.... If you want a cheapie cheapie, I'd have a K100rs for about £1800 with touring gear... ride it for 3 years and sell it for the same as you paid, reliable, robust, built when BM's were built to last forever, comfy and will sit on the autobahn all day at 100mph... The K100 engine range really are bulletproof...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Would have the GTR over any new BMW , as above the oler Ks are good bikes k1100rs etc ......Or what about a FJR with a scottoiler .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a 140 mile trip the other week 120 of which were in properly the worst rain I've ever ridden in. When I got home the chain had next to no lube anywhere, despite me lubing it at the start of the journey. In the past I've had bikes with Scottoilers on them and they have not coped with lesser amounts of rain.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
V strom or varedero thingy,buy one get one free for the cost of the kwak. Chain drive I know but 4k buys a lot of chain lube and I know what I'd rather ride thru winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts