KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 545 Posts

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bigkuri’s 1190 Adventure R

I seem to be hijacking some other threads with tales of my new 1190 Adv R, so thought I better put all my shite into one dumper…. :D

So after YEARS of avoiding ABS, tricky flash computer-driven bikes in general, I have taken the full monty plunge with the 1190 Adventure R with lean-angle ABS and traction control, and about 6 separate CPUs to manage it all…. So this will be some journey! It’s bike number 72, so ideally I’ll keep this one a tad longer, for several years I’ve been trying to slow down my bike purchasing, to no avail…

Previous to this I had a 950 SMR, for a total of five weeks. It was a great bike – incredible fun just for a blat out for a few hours, commuting, and day trips. However on a recent wee tour – my god, the fuel range with my riding style was about 80 miles to a tank, and the suspension so good on good road surfaces just killed my back on bumpy Welsh B roads. Plus I was heading to no license with all the wheelies and stoppies this thing FORCED me to do….

On getting back home, as chances would have it my local deal (In Moto, Croydon) offered me a blinding trade in on my SMR and a fantastic price on a 2015 ADV R. The deal was done.

Prior to purchase I spent a massive amount of time trawling the web (mainly advrider.com) for “what goes wrong”. This thread will be my mods and findings of the 1190 ADV R – there is not that much mention of them on this forum, and given my “carbs are king” old style of thinking, and the four 9x0s (Adv, AdvR, SE, SMR) that I have owned, I thought it may be interesting to see if my new-bike-feeling lasts more than a few weeks…. :p

From the advrider threads it seems that the 1190 ADV has attracted a bunch of new KTM converts to the brand, which makes for interesting reading as they “discover” some of the features of the bike that most of us here just accept or upgrade our way around (like the clutch slave etc..). :wanker::D

The initial stuff – days 1-3 of new bike…. (so take with a grain of salt...)

- Argh the bloody CAT is not in the end can, but is in the header pipe just prior to the end can. It results in nuclear blasts of hot air going both into the massive ugly end can, but also straight up to the seat, making for a hot wee ride. That CAT is going to go, as is that ugly end can.
- The factory heated grips are awesome. Such a small thing, but they work great, and having them integrated into the dash and dash-controls is just such a nice thing.
- The power is weird. And it is quickly obvious that this is the traction control – you give it the beans and you can feel the bike thinking about it first, then it rockets off.
- It is a fast, very fast.
- The traction control does work, I am just finding myself having to re-learn my riding style, trusting it more and getting on the gas way earlier and more aggressively than I used to. I think if you come from a 9x0 and immediately hop on the 1190 you will think it’s not actually as responsive/fast – but adjust your riding style and trust the traction control and OMG it is quick.
- It feels better balanced than the 9x0. Brave words now, but I actually think it’ll be better offroad than my 990 AdvR was…. It is REALLY easy to ride as the balance is so good. Feels lighter, due to the tank shape I think.
- Turning traction control off is fun. Big fun. But some/half of my reasoning behind getting this beast was to stop the wheelie nonsense the SMR was promoting…
- The windscreen is better than the 9x0 Adventure, but still not that great. It is bearable, and adjustable, but I suspect I’ll cut it down or something sooner or later.
- Initially sitting on it the bike feels longer and taller, but it is not. I think it is slightly wider.
- The seat (2015 R model) is great.
- It has a fuel gauge! How nice is that!
- Fuelling is awesome. As soon as you ride away – it is just smooth and lovely. For such wicked power this thing is a bit of a pussycat to ride.
- The lean-angle ABS is amazing. All my life I brake before corners and then power through them. This thing you can brake anywhere and the bike just keeps on turning, no stand-up at all. Amazing.
- God every forbid this bloody thing bloody breaks down electronically on me – I’ll be screwed as it does not even have throttle cables! Eeeeek!

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off, after picking it up from the dealer, was getting rid of the crappy air filter issue. So since 2013 KTMs airbox has leaked in various places; around the filter itself, but also around the lid. There are a few solutions....

My first port of call was the wonderful Zen Overland - Gabe sorted me out for most things :D

KTM themselves offer their "you get it all dirty darling" package of an oiled airfilter and airbox lid bit of foam for sealing.
Rottweiler do their usual thing
Power-Cell have trumpets and individual oiled filters that bolt directly onto the throttle bodies. I went with this one as it appealed in it's simplicity.

Strip the bike:

By removing all of these bloody screws?!!! Holy crap, that is a lot of fairing screws!

Fit the replacement trumpets for a mounting point (borrowed the images off advrider)

Fit the oiled filters

Job down and done. I love simple.

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also fitted SAS blanking plates from Zen Overland

Got rid of this crap:

Next fitted a Zen Overland top plate. Boy this thing is an utter work of art. The photo's do not do it justice. I had been considering turning it into a wall clock for the lounge it is so pretty.....

Loving this bike (new bike owner-love so beware....) Just wait a month till I start hating it... ;)

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at this! How neat is the wiring. Gone is the 9x0 birds nest of crappy connectors. Note point above about me hoping this thing never ever breaks down on me though....

The GPS bracket is great, and surprisingly strong. No wobble on the road. Over the next few months as I make this thing for the dirt we'll see how it holds up then :) :D

<edit, no that GPS bracket was not great after all... shite in fact>

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think so. But who knows.... I was looking at the original RC8 trumpets and they were tiny-flat, so very short.

I hate to say it, but I notice utterly zero difference with these new air filters to the OEM airbox.... But then again the only difference I noticed with the ITG/Rottweiler setup is the intake noise making me a bit more excitable...

But they "say" it increases BHP throughout the range - but Power Cell also say that this is not about power, but about clean air, so fair dinkum.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Apparently the powercell trumpets are tuned for the low to mid range end of the power somewhere this bike is more than happy to stay at :)
The Unifilter does have a definite effect on acceleration as tested by myself this weekend just gone, it doesn't quite feel as bonkers as before i fitted it probably due having to suck through two sponge filters instead of one paper one so i may yet go down the Powercell route myself

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently the powercell trumpets are tuned for the low to mid range end of the power somewhere this bike is more than happy to stay at :)
The Unifilter does have a definite effect on acceleration as tested by myself this weekend just gone, it doesn't quite feel as bonkers as before i fitted it probably due having to suck through two sponge filters instead of one paper one so i may yet go down the Powercell route myself
I went the panty-hose route... Or maybe panty-hose root (you were all thinking it, you perverts... ;) ). So a couple of the ex-wifes nylons over the intake scoops, job done, nice and neat, and no loss in power. However if I don't get a new GF in the next year then I could have an awkward service parts-buying list! Where do you even buy pantyhose, M&S?.... Never thought I'd have that worry in servicing motorcycles....

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please tell me that the bike came with the KTM branded socket set! :D
It bloody should have for the cost! (saying that I did get a stonking deal, so no complaints). They are a great wee set of tools, KTM-branding aside... I think they are made by Bahco.

Warranty - I'd rather have a dust-free engine than worry about KTM warrantees.... The airbox is a known weakness - I think with the 2015 they have finally fixed the seal of the paper filter to the box opening, however the lid is still made of cheese and you can physically see the gaps. The plastic is too soft, allowing it to warp.

Today, if it does not rain... hoping to de-CAT the bike! Then saving up for a few weeks/months for a slip-on, bash plate, radiator guard, and some knobbly tyres! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking good! Did you fit the sat nav bracket yourself? What about the wiring?

I've bought the KTM bracket and wiring (and cradle) for my Garmin Zumo 550. Was going to have it all fitted at the first service next Tuesday, but thought I might have a crack it myself if its straight-forward.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Got some other new bits to fit as well: Fuel silencer, KTM bashplate, DNA filter and intake socks. Will check airbox this weekend, before the service and if there's any dirt in there, I'll be claiming on the warranty.

Have you got the 1290 starter? I've been using my bike for commuting to work this week (forgot to MoT the car! :dozey:). It got a good drenching yesterday and took a couple of prods to get it started this morning.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I went the panty-hose route... Or maybe panty-hose root (you were all thinking it, you perverts... ;) ). So a couple of the ex-wifes nylons over the intake scoops, job done, nice and neat, and no loss in power. However if I don't get a new GF in the next year then I could have an awkward service parts-buying list! Where do you even buy pantyhose, M&S?.... Never thought I'd have that worry in servicing motorcycles....
Have you any pictures of the ex wifes panty hose

ideally still connected to the wife .......

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Look at this! How neat is the wiring. Gone is the 9x0 birds nest of crappy connectors. Note point above about me hoping this thing never ever breaks down on me though....

The GPS bracket is great, and surprisingly strong. No wobble on the road. Over the next few months as I make this thing for the dirt we'll see how it holds up then :) :D
Do you think there is enough room to fit at least 1 horn behind the head lamp

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

I've bought the KTM bracket and wiring (and cradle) for my Garmin Zumo 550. Was going to have it all fitted at the first service next Tuesday, but thought I might have a crack it myself if its straight-forward.

Got some other new bits to fit as well: Fuel silencer, KTM bashplate, DNA filter and intake socks. Will check airbox this weekend, before the service and if there's any dirt in there, I'll be claiming on the warranty.

Have you got the 1290 starter? I've been using my bike for commuting to work this week (forgot to MoT the car! :dozey:). It got a good drenching yesterday and took a couple of prods to get it started this morning.
All I'd add after helping Shake with his Sat Nav on his 1190 is to repeat what BK says abut the number of screws. It was pretty straight forward, and once apart there is enough room for everything, but the screws, the screws..... Shake had previously run the sat nav wires to he rear of the bike, so we had the tank off as well - another 48 thousand screws....

Having said all that, technically it was a piece of pi$$.

cheers

Markie

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The bracket came on the bike, but it is only a couple of bolts and screws - a five minute job to fit. With the SatNav power I ran it from ACC2, so it is only on with the ignition. The ACC1 & ACC2 wires are tucked into the hole in the headlight cowl that goes through into the cigarette charger. In the red circle:

I then took off the speedo, unclipped the wires from the back, and where the wires come through the plastic dash I dremeled a little hole/divot for the SatNav wire to come through. Where the yellow circle is, and dremeled where the yellow dot is:

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you think there is enough room to fit at least 1 horn behind the head lamp
Yes, I reckon there is. As it is canbus an additional horn of any type I reckon it will need wired to the battery direct circuit with a relay off the existing horn. In order to prevent a general error it's best to leave in the stock horn, or wire in a specific resistor.... I think with a bit of fiddling you could have room for a split air horn - where the compressor is separate to the trumpet and connected via a bit of hose. Just my two cents... :D

1 - 20 of 545 Posts