KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was coming home today after about 140 problem free fun filled miles.

3 mile from home, rounded a quickish 90 degree bend, opened the throttle, changed up...........bike cut out completely.......dead......sounded like it took a very quick 'deep breath' then it fired up and off we went again.

Any ideas what this was??

It put me right off hitting the speed humps on the road to the house and put a bit of a dampener on an otherwise great day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Mine did that when i was on my way to the last Wales weekend on the adventures. Never did find the problem.
How many miles on the fuel pump? 950adv?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the 990S, 07 model. I bought it used, but dont believe the fuel pump has been changed. Theres about 11,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Doubt it is the fuel pump then,could be but i doubt it.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Check battery connections & wiring. Especially check your starter relay (its not just a relay - it is also a mini distribution board - theres a little copper rail that can get corroded/seperated). Youre bike sounds a little too new for that to happen - but if its been run in winter/salt, its worth a check.

Did you happen to notice what the dash was doing at the time?

Any backfiring?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check battery connections & wiring. Especially check your starter relay (its not just a relay - it is also a mini distribution board - theres a little copper rail that can get corroded/seperated). Youre bike sounds a little too new for that to happen - but if its been run in winter/salt, its worth a check.

Did you happen to notice what the dash was doing at the time?

Any backfiring?
No winter salt here mate, am out in Ghana......'winter' is like 28C LOL. Didnt notice a backfire to be honest.

Will have a look at the starter relay thanks.

Did I notice the dash...........sorry, was too busy soiling my trunks coz even though I was just round a bend I was in a spot where dual lanes mingle with some wacky traffic coming out of a car park and I was in real risk of getting rear ended.

I've just been reading up on this problem on advrider............seems as if its not uncommon and by the look of there's a lot of different opinions on what causes it. Fingers crossed its not going to become a regular feature of events.

·
Registered
880 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts